VMware Cloud Community
dwchan
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

ESX 3.5 Update 2 new feature question

I am a bit confuse and need some clarify on the following update 2 feature

Cross-processors VMotion (auto-configuration of AMD-V Extended Migration and Intel FlexMigration)

- is that mean i can now vmotion between a dual and quad core AMD without manually setting some CPU feature set parameter?

Virtual machines live snapshot through Microsoft Volume Shadow Service (VSS) (only Windows 2003 and 2008 guest OSes)

- we have been using vizioncore vranger for our backup solution. They have this feature for months. How is this difference than before, how is this difference than previous snap-shot

Virtual disks hot-extension (only for flat disks without snapshots in persistent mode)

- is this mean i can expand my virtual disk without power off the VM guest first

0 Kudos
7 Replies
depping
Leadership
Leadership

1) it means that if the server contains CPU's which include the AMD-V Extended Migration or the Intel Flexmigrations these VM's will be configured in a way that they can be vmotioned from a AMD-V to an AMD-V of a different type.

2) the previous snapshot used it's own mechanism, the sync driver, for quiescing the OS. the applications running within a vm weren't aware of the sync driver, which could lead to problems especially with databases. vRanger indeed had this option a while back but that's only for backup's and not for actual snapshots.

3) Yes, you can hot extend a VMDK without switching of the VM!

Duncan

My virtualisation blog:

If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".

0 Kudos
dwchan
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

How can i find our if our dual core AMD (HP BL465 G1) and quad core AMD (HP BL465 G5) support this new V-extended feature set?

dwc

0 Kudos
depping
Leadership
Leadership

Check it via the model number of your CPU, but as far as I know for the DualCore opteron it should be supported.

Duncan

My virtualisation blog:

If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".

0 Kudos
java_cat33
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

You can also tell within the advanced processor options of the BIOS. Intel VT for example is disabled by default and needs to be enabled.

0 Kudos
jpoling
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Following on this post slightly. . . I am still somewhat confused (possibly ill-informed) about Enhanced Vmotion in Update 2.

In our environment, we are preparing to purchase four brand new Dell R900 systems. Our current cluster is built with four IBM x3950s. I was working under the impression that I would need to build a new cluster for the Dell systems and manually move any VMs from the existing cluster because the CPU families are different. With Enhanced VMotion, will I be able to Vmotion between the different Intel CPU families, thus being able to seamlessly add the new Dell systems to my existing cluster?

Thanks for the clarification

Jeff

0 Kudos
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal

If your new R900's have the Intel FlexMigration, and you have enhanced vmotion compatibility enabled, then your new CPUs will configure themselves to look like your old intel cpu's, so you can use vmotion across all of them. This is a relatively new technology, so your mileage will probably vary. But, it is good to see Intel and AMD seeing the value of these features.

-KjB

vExpert/VCP/VCAP vmwise.com / @vmwise -KjB
0 Kudos
stvkpln
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

I think there's been a bit of misinformation spreading in regards to EVC and what it can and can't do. It is NOT some magic silver bullet that will allow vmotion's to occur from older processors to the newer generation stuff.. It's not going to be able to do that. Some of the existing vmotion logic still exists and there are minimum requirements to making this work! Looking over the basic system administration guide (page 238-239 for those who want to take a look), for Intel processors there is a minimum requirement to be a Core 2 (Merom) processors as what EVC can emulate in the Intel world.. If the processors in those x3950's aren't at least Meroms, there's a fairly decent chance that EVC isn't going to do much unless they are compatible with Merom's.

-Steve
0 Kudos