VMware Cloud Community
Jay0
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

ESX 3.5 U4 to U5 for Windows 2008 R2

Hello,

I have a few questions about the upgrade from ESX 3.5 U4 to ESX 3.5 U5.

I have a farm with 4 ESX 3.5 U4 and I need to install several windows 2008 R2 guest OS so I need tu update to U5. Is it possible to update only one ESX now to host our new 2008 R2 servers and in a few weeks upgrade the rest of the ESX?

I think that It will disable the HA and the vmotion for these specific guest (2008 R2) but what about the others guests?

What about the update? Is it right that I need to reboot the ESX and boot on a CD?

Regards

JAY

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
MikeS1983
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi Jay0,

I guess from your question you don't use update manager?

Why would you only want to upgrade on host and the others later? Are the hosts in the same cluster? I recommend they are all the same version, especially if they are in the same HA cluster.

Although in answer to you're question on the pre 2008 R2 guests they will work fine in a cluster with U4 and U5 hosts present.

The ESX host will need a reboot, but there are quicker ways of updating your hosts than reinstalling with a cd. You could either copy the update to the host and use esxupdate or my recommended way is to use update manager.

Hope this helps

Mike.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
MikeS1983
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi Jay0,

I guess from your question you don't use update manager?

Why would you only want to upgrade on host and the others later? Are the hosts in the same cluster? I recommend they are all the same version, especially if they are in the same HA cluster.

Although in answer to you're question on the pre 2008 R2 guests they will work fine in a cluster with U4 and U5 hosts present.

The ESX host will need a reboot, but there are quicker ways of updating your hosts than reinstalling with a cd. You could either copy the update to the host and use esxupdate or my recommended way is to use update manager.

Hope this helps

Mike.

0 Kudos
Jay0
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi mike,

Thanks for the answer

Regards

0 Kudos