VMware Cloud Community
bolsen
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

ESX 3.5 - Networking problem - Can't ping vmkernel.

After a clean install of 3.5 I am running into an interesting issue when setting up the network configuration.

The problem is when I configure the vmkernel and add the IP address, I'm unable to ping the port. Here are the steps I'm taking.

1. Open vswitch0 and add second pnic.

2. Add vmkernel and specify IP address settings

3. Hit OK and finish.

At this point I should be able to ping the vmkernel IP address but I can't. I should mention that this worked on 3.0.2, I'm only having this problem on 3.5.

Anyone else having this problem?

0 Kudos
7 Replies
RParker
Immortal
Immortal

Try pinging vmkernel from another machine. I just set this up this morning, and I had the same exact issue.

I had to enentually remove vmkernel, and add it again. You probably did it, and then it asked you for the gateway, which you updated, then it wouldn't work... It might be a new bug introduced in 3.5. I finally got mine working after removing it, and adding it again with the same settings, then ping from an external machine.

0 Kudos
bolsen
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

The remove / readd process worked on one of the hosts, but not the second. =/

0 Kudos
Chamon
Commander
Commander

I would probably try it again. With HA issues on 3.0.2 I have had to remove and readd the host multiple times before it would take.

0 Kudos
bolsen
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Yea, I tried it numerous times and I couldn't get it to go.

I ended up reinstalling ESX (checking documentation, not because of this problem) and this time I created a new vmkernel switch and dedicated it an IP and it worked right away. I then deleted the switch and reconfigured vswitch0 for failover and added vmkernel and it continued to work.

0 Kudos
bolsen
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Still a problem. Can't ping from the kernel either.

0 Kudos
zhouse
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Also, to ping from the SC you need to use vmkping.

0 Kudos
bolsen
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Correct, that's what I'm doing and it doesn't get any responses.

The one thing I have noticed is if I let the server sit long enough it will eventually come online.

0 Kudos