VMware Cloud Community
Raymo
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

ESX 3.5 Move VM OS to a new datastore

ESX 3.5.0 Update 4 Build 153875

I have an Exchange 2007 front end server (2008 x64 OS) that has only one disk (OS) configured on a datastore presented by Clarion AX4.5 SAN. I wanted to move this disk to another datastore that has more free space and higher performance available but I am not sure of the exact steps.

So instead of the disk runnign on datastore 1 I wanted to run it on datastore 2.

Could I clone it to the same ESX host and just select the new datastore? Or would it be better to P2V it to the new datastore. This seems like it should be simple but I am stuck on what is a best practice for this. Obviously since it's the exchange front end I don't want to screw anything up either.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

If you have virtual center the easiest way would be to cold migrate shut down the VM and migrate it - you can leave it on the same ESX host but you will be given the option to move the virtual disk -

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

If you have virtual center the easiest way would be to cold migrate shut down the VM and migrate it - you can leave it on the same ESX host but you will be given the option to move the virtual disk -

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

The way to do this is the cold migration as weinstein5 mentioned. All other methods would modify the VM's name and/or configuration which is not neccessary in this case.

André

Raymo
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

OK,

Thanks a.p. and weinstein5.

0 Kudos