VMware Cloud Community
eldingo
Contributor
Contributor

ESX 3.5 License

Hello All:

I just decomissioned an ESX 3.0 host to free up a license for ESX 3.5 host. After adding the ESX 3.5 host in Virtual Center Server 2.5, it still shows up as "Unlicensed" under ESX Server Edition. License Source is pointing to the license server. I have already restarted the Virtual Center Service on the Virtual Center Server. When I try to edit, and select "ESX Server Standard" it reverts back to "Unlicensed" radio button.

But, when I click on "Administration" button in VI Client, I can see the ESX3.5 host using the license. How can I change the license status to "ESX Server Standard" from "Unlicensed". Please help! Thanks.

0 Kudos
1 Reply
anujmodi1
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Before decommision the esx host, its should be unlicensed the license server from host machine. then it will automatically free the licenses. But don't worry, LM Tool provide you to diagonsis the license and can free the license back.

Anuj Modi,

If you found my answer to be useful, feel free to mark it as Helpful or Correct.

The latest blogs and articles on Virtulization:

http://communities.vmware.com/blogs/amodi

Anuj Modi, If you found my answer to be useful, feel free to mark it as Helpful or Correct. The latest blogs and articles on Virtulization: anujmodi.wordpress.com