VMware Cloud Community
ms_1316
Contributor
Contributor

ESX 3.5 Hangs on ProLiant ML370 G3

Hi All,

I'm still pretty new to ESX, but I'm getting quite into it quite a lot at work so thought I'd buy a second hand ProLiant ML370 G3 to get some practise in.

As you may be aware, the ML370 is on the VMWare approved list (the reason I bought it) with BIOS dated 4004-09-15. This is running and after some playing around I have ESX installed. I initially ran into issues because by default, the BIOS did not have an OS set and was also not booting with Full Table APIC. Once I had done a bit of research I got ESX loaded and breathed a sigh of relief.

The problem I'm now having is that ESX hangs at random points. My first task was going to be to mount a Windows share and clone across a VM from my laptop. I've opened the firewall for SMB access, mounted the share and started pulling a VM base image across. The concept is sound; I've done it at work on an HP DC7100 desktop but it just seems to hang at home. I can't ping the machine once it's gone, and am forced to do a cold reboot.

Any advise on what the problem could be would be appreciated as I'm really at a loss. The BIOS has been adjusted so that most things are disabled but I can't believe that this is the issue since ESX does install with no problems. I've tried twice tonight to clone this VM, and once it hung at 39% and just now 14%. There seems to be nothing I can do; the system just freezes and I need to do a cold reset.

Could this be hardware? I've not played around with the memory or disks yet as I'm waiting for some new ones. The problem is, I really don't want to shell out if it's something else. At the moment I have a very heavy paperweight server!

Thanks in advance...

Matt

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Roy_b2Lateral
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

I assume you are using ESX 3.5? This sound more like a network issue to me. Most of the problems I have seen like this are slow or flakey network connections. When you say you are cloning, are you doing a cold or hot migration?

0 Kudos
TomHowarth
Leadership
Leadership

Matt, welcome to the forums, I have moved your post to the ESX 3.5 forum as you will get a better response here. the VMUG area why you originally posted get very limited traffice and is really only used to advise of VMUG meeting dates and information surrounding the User group.

Tom Howarth

VMware Communities User Moderator

Tom Howarth VCP / VCAP / vExpert
VMware Communities User Moderator
Blog: http://www.planetvm.net
Contributing author on VMware vSphere and Virtual Infrastructure Security: Securing ESX and the Virtual Environment
Contributing author on VCP VMware Certified Professional on VSphere 4 Study Guide: Exam VCP-410
0 Kudos