VMware Cloud Community
COS
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

ESX 3.5 HA and DRS - Fully Automated settings

I have a two node cluster and using DRS. In the DRS settings under "Fully automated" there's a slide bar for the "Migration Threshol". The default setting is in the middle. I have three questions for this....

1: In the middle setting, how long does DRS allow the runaway server to eat up CPU before doing a vMotion?

2: From the middle and sliding one tick to the right closer to "Aggressive", how long does DRS allow the runaway server to eat up CPU before doing a vMotion?

3: When set all the way to "Aggressive", how long does DRS allow the runaway server to eat up CPU before doing a vMotion?

Thanks

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

It is not so much how long will it take for DRS to vMotion - the driving factor on whether DRS will vmotion is if the VMs are not getting their entitiled resources - so if you do have a 'run away' vm and the ESX server it is on is able to provide the necessary resources the VM will stay where it is at - check out page 67 of http://www.vmware.com/pdf/vi3_35/esx_3/r35u2/vi3_35_25_u2_resource_mgmt.pdf

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

This is the only thing I can find... However this is also explained in the description field of the star ratings. I don't have an exact answer for you, but maybe this will be somewhat helpful.

page 18

0 Kudos
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

It is not so much how long will it take for DRS to vMotion - the driving factor on whether DRS will vmotion is if the VMs are not getting their entitiled resources - so if you do have a 'run away' vm and the ESX server it is on is able to provide the necessary resources the VM will stay where it is at - check out page 67 of http://www.vmware.com/pdf/vi3_35/esx_3/r35u2/vi3_35_25_u2_resource_mgmt.pdf

0 Kudos