VMware Cloud Community
DChambers1
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

ESX 3.5 Freezing

Hi, I am new to the community and ESX, but i have installed ESX 3.5 on a DL380 HP Server and have the VMCentre installed on my machine.

I noticed that the network speed in the Virtual Centre for the NIC is 100mb/s but the physical connection is 1gb/s. The virtual machines are also showing a connection of 1gb/s. So i tried to change the connection properties in the Virtual Centre to 1000mb/s Full Duplex.

When i did this the Virtual Centre said that the host took too long to reply. Then showed it as unavailable. I couldnt access any VMClients or the Host.

When i went to reboot the host locally the esx local log on worked and now it shows as disconnected. When i try to right click and connect it shows as In Progress.

I have tried to re-add the ESX server, but get the error:

"Unable to access the specified host. It either dies not exist, the server software is not responding, or there is a network problem"

Any ideas what the problem is?

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Erik_Zandboer
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Hi

When using Gbit links, I would recommend to keep the settings at "auto". Because the link speed you saw was 100mbit, I suspect there is a limit somewhere in your hardware. When you then force the link to 1Gbit, changes are you loose your connection (as you prooved Smiley Wink ).

From the console, try:

esxcfg-nics -l

This should list the nics in your system, together with the link speeds (actual and configged).

If you want to change the linkspeed back to auto, use:

esxcfg-nics -a vmnic<X>

Where <X> is of course the NIC number you want to change. Once you get your connectivity back, you can start to figure out why your NIC speed shows 100 instead of 1 Gbit. Maybe unneccesary to say, but check your physical NIC, your cable and your physical switch. All should be Gbit capable (and not malfunctioning Smiley Wink ). Also make sure the link speed at the physical switch is set to AUTO and not to 100/fixed!

Visit my blog at http://www.vmdamentals.com

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Erik_Zandboer
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Hi

When using Gbit links, I would recommend to keep the settings at "auto". Because the link speed you saw was 100mbit, I suspect there is a limit somewhere in your hardware. When you then force the link to 1Gbit, changes are you loose your connection (as you prooved Smiley Wink ).

From the console, try:

esxcfg-nics -l

This should list the nics in your system, together with the link speeds (actual and configged).

If you want to change the linkspeed back to auto, use:

esxcfg-nics -a vmnic<X>

Where <X> is of course the NIC number you want to change. Once you get your connectivity back, you can start to figure out why your NIC speed shows 100 instead of 1 Gbit. Maybe unneccesary to say, but check your physical NIC, your cable and your physical switch. All should be Gbit capable (and not malfunctioning Smiley Wink ). Also make sure the link speed at the physical switch is set to AUTO and not to 100/fixed!

Visit my blog at http://www.vmdamentals.com
0 Kudos
DChambers1
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Worked like a treat! I think i worked out where the problem was, the VLAN is only set up as 100mb and not 1gb.

Thanks for giving me the commands to reconfigure at command line!

0 Kudos