VMware Cloud Community
dugger
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

ESX 3.5 Foundation license on ESX 3.5 Standard

Hi all, my problem is related to a license file not being accepted from three ESX 3.5 host servers just installed. I have just 20 days left for the evaluation period, and so I asked my colleagues to contact a dealer and buy the needed licenses. So they did, and they sent me a license file for ESX Server 3.5 Foundation Edition. So I run my VMWare Infrastructure Client, logging on one of the three unlicensed hosts, and try to upload the license file. On the configuration tab, selected Licensed Features and I can see the License Source as Evaluation, and 20 days remaining, and under ESX Server Edition, I can see ESX Server Standard.

So first of all I tried to Edit this last information, but I have no choice, in the popup window there are two options, Unlicensed and ESX Server Standard, and the first one is disable, and the second one is already selected! So no changes are possible!

Ok, I clicked on Edit near License Source, and chosen the last option, Use Host License File. Browsed to the file received before and clicked Ok: a popup warned me about disabling ESX Server Evaluation that would make the Consolidated Backup feature not longer be available, but that's ok, since this is a testing environment, and we are not interested in that feature. So I clicked Ok, and received an error message saying "The uploaded license content was not valid".

I'm pretty sure that this license file is coming from VMWare Product Licensing web site...

Is it possible that during the installation of the ESX Server a choice has been done on Standard version, so that now I can't use a Foundation license?

Hope that someone could help us, since we're counting the days left...

Davide

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Rumple
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

The foundation licenses give you a Virtual Center license. Install Virtual center and install the license and then point your hosts at the license server. Foundation licenses are not host based licensing because they come with e coveted Virtual Center product.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Rumple
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

The foundation licenses give you a Virtual Center license. Install Virtual center and install the license and then point your hosts at the license server. Foundation licenses are not host based licensing because they come with e coveted Virtual Center product.

0 Kudos
dugger
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Ehy you've been really fast!! Thank you for your reply. I know we have a valid license for Virtual Center, but I'm not able to download it, since a serial number registration is needed, but I received no serial number to register! I've got only a license file. Maybe I could ask it to the colleague who has bought the licenses?

Thank you again.

Dugger

0 Kudos
madda
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Firstly with ESX Foundation you do get VCB, you just have to enable it in the license options and make sure the license file you have includes the VCB feature.

During the ESX installation you install everything, and the license file just activates pieces of the installed product depending on which license you apply to the server.

You don't need the VC to be able to license it, you can license the ESX host on its own as you were doing it, but it would seem that the file you are specifying might not be valid.

When we bought our ESX foundation licenses & VC licenses I was sent a key which I plugged into the VMware account section and then I was able to download the file. This might not be the same for everyone, but then I am able to download the licenses whenever.

I would try getting another license file from your vendor

----- Mark Atherton
madda
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

In my case anyway, you need to register that serial number with Vmware under an account, and then you get the license file. So someone has likely done this for you, and this would be the person to contact to re-isssue the license correctly.

----- Mark Atherton
dugger
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank you Madda for your quick and detailed reply. Now you all pointed me in the right way. I'm going to ask who bought the licenses to download the Virtual Center application, and will try to use the license from there.

0 Kudos