VMware Cloud Community
COS
Expert
Expert

ESX 3.5 - Clone a Gold Image

Other than using a third party app like Acronis or Ghost, what is the best way to quickly provision a VM Windows Guest by cloning a Gold VM? How can I do thi in ESX?

Thanks

0 Kudos
4 Replies
mcowger
Immortal
Immortal

Build a new VM, shut it down, click mark as template. Then click the template, choose deploy from this template, and (potentially) customize the guest OS using the wizard.

--Matt

--Matt VCDX #52 blog.cowger.us
0 Kudos
COS
Expert
Expert

From what interface do I find this object called "Mark as template"? I have looked in the Web interface and the "Virtual Infrastructure Client".

Thanks

0 Kudos
ctfoster
Expert
Expert

The ability to make template is provided from VI interface and only when using Infrastructure. The easiest way to clone a VM without the template options is to copy the vmdk file from within the console.

Create your gold image. When you want to clone it use the VI client to create a new VM with a disc of the same size. From the console use the vmdktools -i command to copy the 'gold' vmdk over the newly created vdmk.

Start up your new server.

0 Kudos
tgradig
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Once you have your Gold Image guest created, just shut it down and clone to new virtual machine in virtual center. You don't have to create templates. This way, if you need to update you image, just power it on, makes the changes and power it back off. Then you are ready to make more clones.

Tony G.

0 Kudos