VMware Cloud Community
JasonV
Contributor
Contributor

ESX 3.5 Build Numbers

I have upgrade 2 version 3.02 ESX servers to version 3.5 and there's a discrepancy with the build numbers that is being displayed within the VIC console. One indicates build 70356 and the other 64607. Both servers were updated using the update service using host critical updates only. Running VMware -v in the shells on both servers shows that they are at build 64607 (VMware ESX Server 3.5.0 build-64607).

Note that one upgrade was performed using the original upgrade package (displays 70356) and the other was upgraded using the latest "a" version (displays 6407).

The image is from the VIC.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
RParker
Immortal
Immortal

vmware -v shows the version of the ESX build as it was installed, it doesn't show the patch level. there is a display bug in VC that doesn't always show the most up to date build of your ESX server

So then the question becomes how do you know the correct build/update level for the system, and I don't exactly know, but this was a big problem in 3.02, and I thought they fixed it. VC should be able to give you the correct build with the updates.

try service mgmt-vmware restart on the machine that doesn't have it and see if that will update VC to show the correct build.

0 Kudos
JasonV
Contributor
Contributor

I tried what you suggested. No change. I'm now wondering if all the critical updates are being applied. The server with the 70356 build had 7 compliant updates applied and the server with the 64607 build only has 1 complaint update yet both servers come up as compliant when scanned.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
azn2kew
Champion
Champion

Originally, ESX 3.5 image has been corrupted and they have fixed by integrated into the image with "a" version to confuse people. So its the same build image nothing has been changed at all in terms of patches. Try to apply those patches for ESX 3.5 to see anything changes on the build version. My version for right now is 64607 and has no issue yet Smiley Happy

"The Power of Knowledge"

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!! Regards, Stefan Nguyen VMware vExpert 2009 iGeek Systems Inc. VMware vExpert, VCP 3 & 4, VSP, VTSP, CCA, CCEA, CCNA, MCSA, EMCSE, EMCISA
0 Kudos
mike_laspina
Champion
Champion

Hello,

As long as the version reported from the command line is correct the you can rest at ease. I have worked with the upgrade packages in detail if you would like further details you can check out my blog on the esxupgrade method.

http://blog.laspina.ca/ vExpert 2009
0 Kudos