VMware Cloud Community
Tiz
Contributor
Contributor

ESX 3.5 & Adaptec SCSI 39320A-R

I have an HP ML350 running ESX 3.5. I created two vm's running Windows Server 2003. There is an Adaptec 39320A-R SCSI card installed thats connected to an external tape drive. Virtual Infrastructure sees the card when I click on the host, but, when I power off the VM thats going to be the backup server, right click, edit settings, click ADD. In the options to add new hardware, it says SCSI DEVICE (UNAVAILABLE), and its grayed out.

This has been a thorn in my side for the past four days, and VMware support is telling me i don't need esx drivers if I'm using esx 3.5 because this card is on their HCL.

0 Kudos
7 Replies
vmPUNK
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

This should work assuming you have no disks attached to the same controller

0 Kudos
Tiz
Contributor
Contributor

I don't just the LTO drive.

0 Kudos
jonhutchings
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

This might be stupid, but have you tried rebooting, going into the adaptec card BIOS (card-A) and switching off the Boot Bios (the bit that allows the card to boot from drives attached to it). Some recent backup devices support boot from tape for bare metal retores, this might just be confusing ESX into thinking it's got a disc attached. ?

Jon

0 Kudos
Tiz
Contributor
Contributor

thanks for the reply Jon. Yes, i did that last night, the boot bios on both channels were already disabled.

0 Kudos
Tiz
Contributor
Contributor

This issue has been resolved. Thanks to everyone who helped.

0 Kudos
Rumple
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

And the solution was????

0 Kudos
immobilia
Contributor
Contributor

This issue has been resolved. Thanks to everyone who helped.

And the "ESX 3.5 & Adaptec SCSI 39320" solution was ? Thanks to help us.

0 Kudos