VMware Cloud Community
marburg
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

ESX 3.5.0 U1 to U3

Hello, at the moment my server is running ESX Server 3.5.0 U1, with an expired evaluation license. New license is on the way and I have one question.

What would be the proper way to update this installation to U3? Use the ESX 3.5.0 U3 full installation iso or the upgrade-from-esx3.5-3.5.0_Update_3?Just want to be sure to keep the VMs that are still on this machine, don't know if one of those will erase the existing partitions or anything like that.

Thanks in advance.

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
penghaug
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

hi,

You probably want to go for the upgrade-from-esx3.5-3.5.0_Update_3 package. The CD will also upgrade your system, you will be prompted for an upgrade alternative. Be sure not to select new install.

-Pål-André

-Pål-André

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
penghaug
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

hi,

You probably want to go for the upgrade-from-esx3.5-3.5.0_Update_3 package. The CD will also upgrade your system, you will be prompted for an upgrade alternative. Be sure not to select new install.

-Pål-André

-Pål-André
0 Kudos
marburg
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank you. I will perform this task next monday after waiting a very long time for the license...

Br

marburg

0 Kudos
marburg
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

The license arrived a bit earlier.

Just to be sure: Do I just have to apply the rpm packages or is there anything else to do?

0 Kudos
depping
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Just download the tarbal from the download section now that you have the licenses you should be able to do so. There's a great pdf with a howto to be found here: http://www.vmware.com/pdf/vi3_35/esx_3/r35u2/vi3_35_25_u2_upgrade_guide.pdf

Duncan

Blogging: http://www.yellow-bricks.com

If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".

marburg
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Wasn't exactly what I was searching for but thanks anyway Smiley Happy

0 Kudos