VMware Cloud Community
xanadu_dm
Contributor
Contributor

ESX 3.5.0,77234 becomes not responding when deploying VM from template

This week we have experienced the following problem in two seperate ESX Server environments:

We created a new VM from a template. This worked well and the ESX started the new VM. However I couldn't see anything happening on the VM via 'open console'.

The only warning/error I got in the Event log is : "Migration of VM from esx31 to esx31 in Company: Network interface 'Network Adapter 1 'uses network 'Production', which is not acccesible.

I tried to power down the VM however after about 10 minutes I got an error 'esx31 is not responding'. From then on I got alerts from other VM's running on esx31 saying 'changed memory/cpu from green to red'. The ESX became slower and slower.

I decided to manually give a shutdown command to all Windows VM's and give the ESX31 a reboot, however it hung on 'vmware-autostart', killing this process proceeded the shutdown process however it then again hung on 'vmware-mangement-agent', killing this process completed the shudown process. The ESX31 rebooted well and all VM's, even the new VM is running well.

Anyone an idea what went wrong? This very same happened in two seperate ESX environments.

Cheers,

Kev

0 Kudos
4 Replies
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal

Looks like hostd had some serious malfunction. Do you have logs from the timeframe in question? The vmkernel log as well as the vm that you just deployed? What kind of storage are you using, and can you make sure you didn't have an issue there?

-KjB

vExpert/VCP/VCAP vmwise.com / @vmwise -KjB
0 Kudos
xanadu_dm
Contributor
Contributor

In attachment you can find all relevant log files

0 Kudos
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal

Are you using NFS?

From the logs, it looks like you lost your datastore, or access to it. Can you confirm this was the case with your storage?

-KjB

0 Kudos
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal

I see s lot of networking issues as well with network Production.

-KjB

0 Kudos