VMware Cloud Community
staudk27
Contributor
Contributor

ESX 3.0x Not showing Added LUN space

We have expanded our virtual LUN on the SAN and will not show up under 'Add Extent'. We have done this a few times before without any problems, but cannot find why this is occurring.

http://img02.picoodle.com/img/img02/8/5/1/f_sanm_27e1154.jpg

This shows 127.x Gb available, and when hitting 'Add Extent' no additional LUN space shows as before. Are there other limitations or settings that need to be tweaked after allocating multiple times?

This is MSA1000 HP SAN, ESX Server, QLogic Switch.

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Lfrisino
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Did you rescan the SAN?

0 Kudos
amit40
Contributor
Contributor

The diagram shows 4 primary partitions ?

Do it have total 4 primary or 3 primary and 1 extended partition

0 Kudos
christianZ
Champion
Champion

You can only create 4 extents as maximum ! No chance here, sorry.

0 Kudos
JonT
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I have a datastore with 5 extents running right now so that isn't quite true. According to your diagram your datastore "SAN_VMDKs" is a total of 72.75GB, using 4 extents. Are you trying to say that you have added physical disks to the LUN dynamically? I am not sure if ESX can read that change aside from rebooting each host on the cluster. I would try putting one in maint. mode and rebooting. If that doesn't work I would have created the new disks as a new LUN and simply add the new LUN to the Extents on that Datastore.

Edit:

I think what is trying to be said here is that you can only have 4 primary partitions, not extents.

Message was edited by:

JonT

0 Kudos
christianZ
Champion
Champion

Sorry my mistake, max. extents count = 32, max. primary partitions on one lun(disk) = 4.

0 Kudos
staudk27
Contributor
Contributor

In out SAN manager to create those extents we increased the size of the LUN. We did a rescan and added extent.

Now that we have 4 partitions, are not able to ever recover that space now? or set that partition larger in advance settings?

0 Kudos
ReneL
Contributor
Contributor

We made the same mistake and added a 5th primary partition to a existing LUN. The 5th partition is not visible. How can we delete this unusable extent from this LUN to gain back the lost space?

0 Kudos
christianZ
Champion
Champion

Well the solution would be to create a new lun (and vmfs) and move all your vms into it.

0 Kudos