VMware Cloud Community
Sven_Burger
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

ESX 3.01 / iSCSI / SQL 2005 Clustering

Hi!

I am soon to embark on attempting to virtualize and cluster an existing SQL2000 Windows cluster.

My ESX Farm (2 hosts, ESX3.01) is using a Clariion ESX3-20 for VMFS storage - which is iSCSI. I can see in the VMWare .pdf that clustering with iSCSI is not yet supported... what are my other options? I will be upgrading to SQL 2005 as well.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
woharrow
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

here is what i have posted in a similar thread....

Lately there seem to be a lot of people looking at using MS clusters between nodes which include or are fully in VMs.

There is a HUGE misunderstanding out there.

Yes, VMWare doesn't support the use of iSCSI Mounted Volumes (as VMDKs or RDMs) for use as Shared Cluster Resources by VMs.

*the issues is around the Shared SCSI Bus issue in ESX. Meaning if you have an iSCSI Target and you connect it to the ESX host via the ESX software iSCSI init, or an iSCSI HBA you can't setup a cluster.

HOWEVER, if you simply create a 2nd VM Network portgroup on the VSwitch where your VMKERNEL iSCSI network is and install the MS iSCSI init inside the VM itself, you can in fact create Clusters without any problems. The point here is that ESX doesn't even know its a cluster, and therefore ESX isn't called upon to support it either. TO ESX it's just another Windows VM. Meaning that as long as Microsoft Supports the use of iSCSI for Clusters (which they do) then it's fine.

Customers are doing this and having great results. The side-benefit is that you can run full VMotion on the Cluster Node and even have a part of the Cluster NOT as a VM if you wish!!!!

Hope this helps-

Wade

******I found this on microsoft's website.... should answer the other question about the support of iSCSI as a shared disk in MSCS.

iSCSI Cluster Support: Frequently Asked Questions

Published: May 28, 2004 | Updated: February 21, 2006

\* *

Related Links

• Microsoft Support for iSCSI

\* *

This FAQ answers commonly asked questions about iSCSI (Internet Small Computer System Interface) support when used with a Microsoft Windows Server 2003 failover cluster. Click a question to view its answer. To view all the answers at one time, select the View all answers check box.

View all answers

Q. On which platforms will iSCSI be supported with Microsoft Cluster Server?

A.

Server clustering supports iSCSI clustered shared storage on Windows Server 2003 Service Pack (SP) 1. Depending on the configuration, the following are supported:

Up to eight-node clusters, if using Storport with iSCSI Host Bus Adapter (HBA) Storport miniport.

Up to eight-node clusters, if using the Microsoft iSCSI Software Initiator.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003/technologies/storage/iscsi/iscsicluster.mspx

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
BenConrad
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

I think that with the last round of 3.0.1 patches Windows 2003 SP1 clustering is supported. You will probably be using RDM files so that both VM's can access the same LUN/Volume...right?

0 Kudos
Sven_Burger
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

>I think that with the last round of 3.0.1 patches Windows 2003 SP1 clustering >is supported. You will probably be using RDM files so that both VM's can access >the same LUN/Volume...right?

Yes, I will be using RDMs - but will it work with an iSCSI SAN?

0 Kudos
BenConrad
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

hmm, I see where it says:

"iSCSI clustering is not supported on iSCSI or NFS disks." in the MSCS guide. I'll do some investigation on this and let you know what I find, if you can do the same that would be great! I would like the ability to cluster over iSCSI as well so I hope there is a workaround for this.

Ben

0 Kudos
Paul_Lalonde
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

The MSCS "iSCSI" stipulation is largely a support one, not a technical one. Like VMware Consolidated Backup, iSCSI works but is not formally supported... yet.

SCSI is SCSI, regardless if it's shared SCSI, Fiber Channel, or iSCSI. I would imagine that VMware just hasn't QA'd MSCS over iSCSI to the degree that they call it "supported" yet.

Paul

0 Kudos
Sven_Burger
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I will.

I'll also be trying this out - I'll let everyone know if it works.

0 Kudos
woharrow
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

here is what i have posted in a similar thread....

Lately there seem to be a lot of people looking at using MS clusters between nodes which include or are fully in VMs.

There is a HUGE misunderstanding out there.

Yes, VMWare doesn't support the use of iSCSI Mounted Volumes (as VMDKs or RDMs) for use as Shared Cluster Resources by VMs.

*the issues is around the Shared SCSI Bus issue in ESX. Meaning if you have an iSCSI Target and you connect it to the ESX host via the ESX software iSCSI init, or an iSCSI HBA you can't setup a cluster.

HOWEVER, if you simply create a 2nd VM Network portgroup on the VSwitch where your VMKERNEL iSCSI network is and install the MS iSCSI init inside the VM itself, you can in fact create Clusters without any problems. The point here is that ESX doesn't even know its a cluster, and therefore ESX isn't called upon to support it either. TO ESX it's just another Windows VM. Meaning that as long as Microsoft Supports the use of iSCSI for Clusters (which they do) then it's fine.

Customers are doing this and having great results. The side-benefit is that you can run full VMotion on the Cluster Node and even have a part of the Cluster NOT as a VM if you wish!!!!

Hope this helps-

Wade

******I found this on microsoft's website.... should answer the other question about the support of iSCSI as a shared disk in MSCS.

iSCSI Cluster Support: Frequently Asked Questions

Published: May 28, 2004 | Updated: February 21, 2006

\* *

Related Links

• Microsoft Support for iSCSI

\* *

This FAQ answers commonly asked questions about iSCSI (Internet Small Computer System Interface) support when used with a Microsoft Windows Server 2003 failover cluster. Click a question to view its answer. To view all the answers at one time, select the View all answers check box.

View all answers

Q. On which platforms will iSCSI be supported with Microsoft Cluster Server?

A.

Server clustering supports iSCSI clustered shared storage on Windows Server 2003 Service Pack (SP) 1. Depending on the configuration, the following are supported:

Up to eight-node clusters, if using Storport with iSCSI Host Bus Adapter (HBA) Storport miniport.

Up to eight-node clusters, if using the Microsoft iSCSI Software Initiator.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003/technologies/storage/iscsi/iscsicluster.mspx

0 Kudos