VMware Cloud Community
kassabt
Contributor
Contributor

ESX 3.0.2 shared storage conflict between servers?

I have just brought online 2 new ESX 3.0.2 IBM x3950 servers. They are both attached to 4800 and 6800 IBM SAN's through a SVC version 411.x. When I format new storage on server one, the 2nd server doesn't recognize it, and still sees the storage as new. If add that new storage to the 2nd server it is removed from the 1st server. If look for new storage on the 1st server, it sees the storage that I just formatted on server 2 as brand new storage. The two servers keep stepping on one another. Has anyone encountered anything like this?

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Todd_Wilkerson
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

After formatting the storage on one server, you should rescan the storage on any other servers to pick up the change. You can do that from the VC client or from the command line:

e.g. esxcfg-rescan vmhbaX

0 Kudos
acr
Champion
Champion

Is SVC supported..?

Can you eliminate by zoning directly to one on the SANs and test that way..

As Todd says the other ESX should simply pickup the LUN after a rescan..

0 Kudos
oreeh
Immortal
Immortal

SVC is "supported" with a special ESX version available from IBM.

(Don't know anything about this but read it a while back in a thread.)

0 Kudos
kassabt
Contributor
Contributor

Yes, SVC is supported. We are running 13 ESX 2.5.4 servers that use the same storage using the same SVC with no problems. When we rescan after adding the LUN to either server, the other sees the storage as new storage, it does not recognize it as a newly formatted vmfs3 volume after the rescan. Simply put, I can only see the new vmfs3 volume on the server that I used to format the LUN, when I rescan on the server that did not format the lun, it sees the lun as new storage for presentation. If I format it, it disapears on the other. Both servers never see the newly formatted LUN at the same time. I'm in the process of gathering the log files, and sending them into our VMware support through IBM to see if they can see anything.

0 Kudos
kassabt
Contributor
Contributor

I believe my colleague has solved the problem, but he did not let me know how, so stay tuned. I will post the resolution once he gets onsite.

0 Kudos
kassabt
Contributor
Contributor

It would seem that esx 3.0.2 has a snapshot feature enabled by default. We disabled snapshot, and it works fine now. Thanks for everyones input.

0 Kudos