VMware Cloud Community
MilesD
Contributor
Contributor

ESX 3.0.2 > 1 CPU license Issue

Hello, we have a new setup that comprises of 3 x DL380G5 hosts running fresh installs of Enterprise ESX 3.0.2. The 3 hosts are configured to run as a cluster in VC 2.0.2, utilising iSCSI SAN storage. The DL380G5 have 2x 2.33Ghz quad core CPU's each.

I have configured multiple VM's with single CPU's that can be Vmotioned across each host seemlessly. However I have just created a VM with 4 cpu's that can only be VMotioned to 1 of the 2 remaining hosts. The host that fails states

"Unable to migrate from esx03.abc.com to esx02.abc.com: Virtual machine has 4 virtual CPUs, but the host software only supports 1. Please check the licenses on the host"

The license features on all 3 hosts, appear to be the same. ESX Server Standard, Vmotion, DRS, HA, VC Agent all licensed for 2 CPU's.

Update: I've just tried starting a VM with 2 CPU's on the host and it gives the same error.

Any suggestions most welcome!!!

0 Kudos
5 Replies
esiebert7625
Immortal
Immortal

If you go to the Licensing page in VC and select the server does it say it is licensed for up to 4-way virtual SMP?

0 Kudos
ianmellor
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi,

Have you enabled vsmp? You will need this for 4-way VM's.

Hope this helps.

0 Kudos
MilesD
Contributor
Contributor

Yes, SMP was enabled.

Fortunately I've managed to resolve it by releasing the license and readding it. Looks like this is still a bug in ESX 3.0.2 / VC 2.0.2.

Miles

0 Kudos
c_g-hills
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

The same thing happened to me with 3.0.2-52542, and the solution also was the same. Releasing and re-acquiring the license enabled to me to vmotion to the server. Now I can finish updating the servers!

0 Kudos
IVOXY
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Does anyone have information as to when this actually got fixed? Patch or update?

0 Kudos