alhamad
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

ESX 3.0.2 and 3.5

I currently have the following setup:

VC 2.5

2 ESX 3.0.2 with DRS,HA and vMotion

I want to upgrade to ESX 3.5 but I don't want to upgrade both boxes. Is it possible to have 3.0.2 coexist with 3.5 and what are the limitations?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
gdesmo
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Just a recomended practice so you do not do anything to your existing lun's. During the install there wont be any chance of wiping out data.

After the re-install of 3.5 you can plug them back in and you will see all the lun's as you did before.

I am happy with 3.5 70356. No real issues. Other than vcb problems. High IO vm's lockup during snapshotting process. But vm ware will be reasing a host patch and vcb upgrade soon.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
gdesmo
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Yes I had the same versions when updating my infrastructure. 3.0.2 worked fine in the same cluster as a 3.5 host. Just make sure to disconnect your hba's during the re-install of your 3.5 host.

No limitations. You can vmotion in both directions.

Ciao

alhamad
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Why do I need to disconnect the hba during installation?

0 Kudos
gdesmo
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Just a recomended practice so you do not do anything to your existing lun's. During the install there wont be any chance of wiping out data.

After the re-install of 3.5 you can plug them back in and you will see all the lun's as you did before.

I am happy with 3.5 70356. No real issues. Other than vcb problems. High IO vm's lockup during snapshotting process. But vm ware will be reasing a host patch and vcb upgrade soon.

0 Kudos
Eldron
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I just upgraded one of my hosts from 3.0.1 to 3.5, and it works very well. You should be just fine.

0 Kudos