VMware Cloud Community
be1977
Contributor
Contributor

ESX 3.0.2 SCSI RDM

We have a Dell PowerEdge 2950 running ESX with a Nexsan ATAboy2 SCSI storage device attached via an LSI Logic LSI22320SE.

From within the VI Client console I can see the SCSI adapter and the storage that is attached.

I need to present this SCSI storage as a raw device mapping to a VM. The problem is when I try to add the hard disk RDM in the VM settings the storage is not visible.

Can someone tell me how to do this?

Thanks,

Brent

0 Kudos
4 Replies
RParker
Immortal
Immortal

There probably isn't a driver to "see" the external device, so that's why you can't configure it.

The ESX is very strict about the hardware it will support. That's why they publish an HCL. Did you try searching the vendor site to see if there is a driver for linux you can install in ESX?

If you re-scan the SCSI controller, does it at least see the device? If it doesn't then you just need to make it available as a storage device in ESX using the rescan and attaching it as local storage.

0 Kudos
jonathanp
Expert
Expert

What's the size of the RDM?

Also is the option add rdm is grayed out or you can click the option?

Regards

0 Kudos
be1977
Contributor
Contributor

The RDM is about 300GB.

I can click Add RDM, it isn't greyed out. The problem is the SCSI vmhba device is not listed as an available hard disk.

0 Kudos
be1977
Contributor
Contributor

When I rescan the SCSI controller it sees the storage device.

Should I be able to add it as an RDM hard disk on my VM?

When I rescan I see that a vmhba id has been has been assigned to the storage so ESX seems to see it?

0 Kudos