VMware Cloud Community
ebui87
Contributor
Contributor

ESX 3.0.2 I/O Error

Hello all,

I recently installed a production ESX server with 2x VMs...The ESX install, and the other 2 Vms are all located on seperate SCSI drives on the same LSI controller and single SCSI cable. Server is Dell Poweredge 1800

Everything has been working fine for the past 2 months and all the sudden, one of the VMs stopped working and i got a "Journal Commit I/O error" with preceeding error messages about target paths not found on vmba0:9:0a.

Originally i suspect that the scsi drive is bad, yet when the ESX server boots all the way and i use the VI client, when i check the storage adapters and the ability to add additional storage, that particular Drive is still availble, yet originally, the a Windows VM was installed on it.

So in all, after numerours power cycles, the server boots normal, all scsi drives are detected, yet logging in on the VI client, only one VM is avaliable and the other (which of course resides on vmba0:9:a) states as "inaccessible"

any help?

p.s. sorry in advance, I'm a ESX neewbie

0 Kudos
4 Replies
christianZ
Champion
Champion

If that drive is a single scsi disk then you can check it in your scsi bios for defect sectors.

0 Kudos
ebui87
Contributor
Contributor

will do.

the funny thing is, i just powered down the server for 20 minutes or so and then booted back up, now the VM is accessible again...i'm assuming there's something funky with the hardware, not ESX, would agree?

0 Kudos
christianZ
Champion
Champion

>would agree?

Yes.

0 Kudos
ebui87
Contributor
Contributor

thanks for your help again!

i've posted another discussion regarding scsi repair...

have a great weekend!

0 Kudos