VMware Cloud Community
mantisgb
Contributor
Contributor

ESX 3.0.1 with Intel Pro 82546EB Chip no networking

Can anyone help? I've tried to install ESX 3.0.1 via the the ISO download. The server is a Dell PowerEdge 650 with a dual port Intel Pro GigE adaptor. When the server boots up I have vmswif0 listed (and two vmnic0 and vmnic1) but can't get any traffic through the interface - no arp response either. On lsmod I can see that e1000 isn't loaded. I've installed the critical patch for an e1000 related issue and this makes no difference. insmod of the driver directly doesn't work either, but I can't remember what the error is, the machine is at work and I'm writing this from memory Smiley Happy

On closer inspection the chip on the card is an 82546 and I've looked at the compatibility doco which shows it as supported with the e1000 driver.

Has anyone got any ideas what I might try?

thanks, Keith

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Paul_Lalonde
Commander
Commander

The e1000 driver wouldn't be loaded by the service console kernel with insmod, it would be loaded by the VMkernel. Check to make sure the VMkernel has loaded it with:

vmkload_mod -l

Can you post the output from:

esxcfg-nics -l

esxcfg-vswitch -l

esxcfg-vswif -l

Thanks

Paul

0 Kudos
mantisgb
Contributor
Contributor

Here is the output from the commands. I haven't worked out how to get serial port/console control over ESX - is this straight forward?

thanks, Keith

esxcfg-nics -l

Name Vmnic0

PCI 01:03.00

driver e1000

link down

speed 0

Duplex half

Desc intel 82546eb gigabit eithernet controller (copper)

Name Vmnic1

PCI 01:03.01

driver e1000

link down

speed 0

Duplex half

Desc intel 82546eb gigabit eithernet controller (copper)

esxcfg-vswitch -l

name vswitch0

num ports 32

used ports 3

Configured ports 32

Uplinks vmnic0

Portgroup name internal id vlan id used ports uplinks

VM network portgroup1 0 0 vmnic0

Service Console portgroup0 0 1 vmnic0

esxcfg-vswif –l

Name vswif0

Port Group: Service Console

IP add 10.41.120.10

Netmask 255.255.0.0

Broadcast 10.41.255.255

Enabled True

DHCP False

0 Kudos
Paul_Lalonde
Commander
Commander

Keith, your physical NICs (esxcfg-nics -l ) are showing as "down". Are you sure you're properly cabled and plugged into a decent switch?

Paul

0 Kudos
pintu27
Contributor
Contributor

Did you guys get any solution for this?

Same problem with me. Although it is connected properly, it is showing down. If I connect a trunk link, it is not showing all VLAN's.

then in tried to use it in iSCSI network but no luck, even i can't ping to the target.

is there any problem with this card controller itself?

Any luck, both ports are behaving in the same way. But same configuration is working with other HP adapters...

Please let me know if there is any fix for this or I have to raise it with support center!!

0 Kudos