VMware Cloud Community
listener
Contributor
Contributor

ESX 3.0.1 Could not create lock for vmware-vmkauthd

When I power on any of my VMs I get a blank screen and this error:

"Could not create lock for vmware-vmkauthd"

I tried restarting this process "service vmware-vmkauthd restart" and

I also rebooted the machine. So far nothing works. I checked to make sure I had a gateway and dns set. I also checked to make sure /etc/hosts had the host name.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
foofighter26
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi,

This thread may point you in the right direction:

http://www.vmware.com/community/thread.jspa?messageID=508309&#508309

regards,

Paul

0 Kudos
marccrowther
Contributor
Contributor

I had a problem this week with the same error. We were not able to Open VM Consoles using either the VI Client or Web Interface and were not able to add the affected servers into VC 2.0.1 SP2. All 6 Hosts affected had all the lastest Critical Patches prior to the issue.

After searching and finding nothing that would fix this, I checked the VAR\LOG partition and found it full. It seems an unused volume was removed from the SAN (Drives pulled out) and the ESX server tried to re-establish a path to the LUN, whilst logging this over and over again until the LOG partition was full.

I removed the large log files, rescanned the HBA to remove the LUN and its all good now. It seems adding a Host to VC or opening up the console, requires log file access for writing, or it fails.

This did not affect any of the VM's on the 6 ESX Hosts affected luckily.

0 Kudos
Animal17
Contributor
Contributor

The /VAR/Log was full for us. We had some volume mapping issues and when they came back up, we could not connect to MKS, or basically the virtual KVM Console. We deleted the large log files, rescanned SAN and all was well. Thanks for posting this. It saved us.

0 Kudos
tbraechter
Contributor
Contributor

Ich bin zurzeit nicht im Hause. Ich kehre am 11.03.11 zurück. Bitte wenden Sie sich in dringenden Fällen an Thomas Dierkes (Thomas.Dierkes@havilog.com) oder Daniel Lübbe (Daniel.Luebbe@havilog.com).

I'm currently out of office. I will be back on 11.03.11. In urgent cases please contact Thomas Dierkes (Thomas.Dierkes@havilog.com) or Daniel Lübbe (Daniel.Luebbe@havilog.com).

0 Kudos