VMware Cloud Community
Howy_NY
Contributor
Contributor

ERROR: Error locking /var/run/esxupdate.pid: [Errno 28] No space left on device (UPDATE 2)

I'm not sure if this is the right place for this but I am out of space when applying update 2. The files are being extracted to /Var/updates which starts out with 2.5gb and ends up running out of space.

I have 9 more gb somewhere else, can I use a symbolic link or some other method to get it to extract someplace else? I am not very familiar with RPM syntax so I have no clue how to redirect the extraction someplace else.

Another problem is that if I try to reinstall the update, it says it is already installed, yet the ESX version number never changed. So, I think I need to somehow force a reinstall. Will this damage anything?

thanks

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
shmaya
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

How did you applied update 2

Howy_NY
Contributor
Contributor

I did the following, as per company instructions (xcorp is the company I work for)

cd /mnt/kickstart/esx3.5/packages/xcorp/noarch

rpm -ivh xcorp-esx3.5-update2-1.0.0-1.noarch.rpm

0 Kudos
shmaya
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

Try downloading the upgrade package for ESX 3.5 update2 zip file ( you have update 3 also) copy to / on ESX, unzip it using the command unzip file.zip.

Enter the extracted folder and type esxupdate update.

Howy_NY
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the tip. I saw the update2.zip file in /var/updates so I think I can just use that.

I just don't understand A) If I will mess something up by not using RPM, and B) How to force it to reinstall update2 when it thinks the update is already there.

Thanks

0 Kudos