VMware Cloud Community
banumuth
Contributor
Contributor

EMC storage LUN's are showing as snopshot

We have added new SAN lun (EMC DMX4) into our VMware cluster. now new SAN LUN's are showing as snapshots. I have concated the SAN team and VMware they are saying the SAN config (SPC2 flag)bit needs to trun on.and SAn needs to be resignatured...

I am not clear about this ; Please explain and tell me what is workaround.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
depping
Leadership
Leadership

for more info about resignaturing check this link: http://pubs.vmware.com/vi301/san_cfg/wwhelp/wwhimpl/common/html/wwhelp.htm?context=san_cfg&file=esx_...

What is does is line out the LUN ID with the VMFS ID, if it's no in sync the VMFS volume is recognized as a snapshot.

Duncan

My virtualisation blog:

If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".

0 Kudos
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal

If your LUN is showing up as a snapshot, then that means it looks like a LUN you already have existing. Most likely, the LUN ID is the same as an existing LUN. So, to not write to the same LUN using two different paths, the new path is disabled. You should first figure out if there is a LUN match with another, and update it so that it is unique. Second, the resignature is usually only required if the LUN had a pre-existing VMFS on it, and the LUN needs to be cleaned out and a new signature or ID written to it.

I tend to stay away from resignature, unless absolutely necessarry, as it can cause problems with naming of the datastore, especially if there are multiple hosts that access it.

The workaround will rename the datastore to something-snap001 or something like that. Then, you'll have to rename it to what you want, then rescan your hosts to pickup the new name. Assuming you've fixed the LUN ID issue, you won't have to do any of this, since your LUN will be seen as unique, and thus resignature will not be required.

-KjB

vExpert/VCP/VCAP vmwise.com / @vmwise -KjB
0 Kudos
sdd
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

If you have powerlink access you can search for spc-2 and VMware to find a whitepaper (it should be the first one returned) titled:

Enabling SPC-2 Compliancy on EMC Symmetrix DMX Devices Connected to VMware VI3 Environments - Applied Technology

The paper explains what SPC-2 is, why you need it, and options around how to enable it.

-Scott

Disclaimer: I am an EMC Employee

-Scott Disclaimer: I am an EMC Employee
0 Kudos