VMware Cloud Community
Randy_B
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

EMC Navisphere Agent

My SAN guy is wanting us to install the EMC Navisphere Agent on our ESX 3.5 hosts. Is anyone using this and have any feedback?

I've been trying to find the compatibility doc from Vmware to see what is approved in the console but darned if I can find the thing.

Thanks,

Randy

0 Kudos
8 Replies
IB_IT
Expert
Expert

See the attached pdf...this may be able to help you. You probably won't find much from VMWare about this...they generally don't like the 3rd party apps in the console, but I came across this several months ago...it was geared toward the 3.0.x versions I think, but may be of some use.

We are running navi on our hosts just fine...it was a simple client install and open of port 6389,tcp,in,naviagent in the esx firewall.

BigHug
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

You can install navisphere on your esx. Or you can manually register esx on EMC array so that you don't need to install navisphere.

0 Kudos
LiamGP
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I've got Navisphere running on my ESX 3.5 hosts works a treat. I installed version 22 when my hosts were running 3.0.1 and then upgraded through 3.0.2 and up to 3.5 and had no problems. Recently upgraded it to 24, again with no problems.

Get the Linux package, it should come with a script called ESX_install.sh, run this to install it. I can't remember if I had to manually open the firewall port after or not - can someone else confirm?

mp_roma
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

I use navisphere agent on my esx 3.5 without problem. I use NAVIAGNTCLI-6.26.2.0.2_LINUX on a CX600 with 6.19 flare version and on cx3-20 with 6.24 flare version...It works fine.

Bye

M.

0 Kudos
rfunk
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

In the past we installed the Naviagent when we were running 3.02. I always opened the firewall port 6389 to connect to our EMC CX700. The command was esxcfg-firewall -o 6389,tcp,in,EMC

Thanks

0 Kudos
VTNorth
Contributor
Contributor

If you use the ESX_install.sh, the script will ask you if it should open the necessary ports for you in the firewall, so

if you answer the Question with yes, you don´t need to open any ports in the firewall manually...

0 Kudos
76dragon
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Does anyone know if this is needed for ESX servers connecting to ISCSI storage or is this just fibre ?

0 Kudos
VTNorth
Contributor
Contributor

As far as i know, this is only for registering an ESX-Host at an EMC-SAN (via FibreChannel)

0 Kudos