VMware Cloud Community
Svedja
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Duplicate SCSI targets to the same LUN, correct or not?

Hi.

I'm setting up our ESX 3.5 with a IBM N5200 storage solution (Netapp 3020 Gateway OEM) and connected fibrechannel.

All the connections are redundant, with one ESX fibrechannel-port on one switch/fabric and the other connection on the other switch/fabric.

Everything seems to work fine (after setting preffered path manualy due to ESX doing a bad guess)

My problem is that I see duplicate targets for the same LUN when checking storage adapters.

Is this correct behavior or not? Should I try to correct it?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

What you are seeing is expected behavior.

vmhba3:0:99 is your hba3 on your host, connecting to target (controller port) 0, LUN 99

vmhba3:1:99 is your hba3 on your host, connecting to target (controller port) 1, LUN 99

-KjB

vExpert/VCP/VCAP vmwise.com / @vmwise -KjB

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
wgardiner
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Thats just showing you multiple paths to the same LUN, its normal behaviour.

kjb007
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Typically, you will see the LUN available to you via each port on the array. Our netapp is an 8-port, so I see 8 paths to the same LUN.

-KjB

0 Kudos
Svedja
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I'm not worried about tha multiple paths which I understand why it is like that, rather with the duplicated SCSI targets (0 and 1).

0 Kudos
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

What you are seeing is expected behavior.

vmhba3:0:99 is your hba3 on your host, connecting to target (controller port) 0, LUN 99

vmhba3:1:99 is your hba3 on your host, connecting to target (controller port) 1, LUN 99

-KjB

0 Kudos
Svedja
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

OK. Thanks

0 Kudos