VMware Cloud Community
RParker
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Dump Apache

OK, I know I will get grief for this, but I am done with apache. It sucks. I actually PREFER Windows IIS (yes, I know people hate it I love it). Capabilities aside, it's MUCH easier to deal with Windows IIS, since it's integrated with Windows.

I want to SWITCH my configuration FROM apache TO IIS, how can I do this? Do I have to reinstall?

The issue is EVERY time apache starts it will NOT automatically start the service. I click Auto, the setttings never save, and this is the ONLY server I have with Apache, and I want to be able to administrate it remotely using IIS console.

So can someone please tell me if there is an easy way to dump this apache crap and go with IIS? apache was preferred I know, but I am sick and tired of it, you may not like IIS, but I do, and I happen to think it's a MUCH better product. It may not be supported to use IIS but I don't care, I am still switching.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
EGRAdmin
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

With your ESX host's/VC server to the best of my knowledge you're stuck with their Tomcat web service.

If you're running a guest OS with Apache and want to swap to IIS just set the service to disabled so it doesn't control the default port of 80.

Or go ahead and uninstall it and install IIS.

I prefer IIS with certain things as well.

If you have apache installed on your VC server and the Tomcat for Web-Access and want to run IIS I see a potential for a port conflict which would mean one of them wouldn't come online on boot. I've seen this happen with IIS and Apache running on the same system setup for port 80. If that's the case check ports and restart the serivce.

Example; on your VC server you'll probably have to specify IIS (or other web server) as a port other then 80 if you want it to come online as the "VI Web Access" server will snag your port 80. Likewise; if you have a "default first site" installed in IIS on the VC server I can see that causing a port conflict with the "Web Access".

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
TCronin
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Do you mean the "VMware Virtual Infrastructure Web Access" service? If that's what you mean then you're stuck. It's acutally Tomcat, not Apache and is integrated into Virtualcenter. If you're talking about something else then you need to be a little clearer.

If you are having a problem with changing the service state then try uninstalling and reinstalling VC, but during the install leave the boxes unchecked for the webaccess startup options, then after a reboot and logged in as the same admin user as you installed with try modifying the server.

I've done lots of installs, updates, upgrades and reinstall and have never seen an issue like you describe, so I'm pretty sure it could be fixed.

Tom Cronin, VCP, VMware vExpert 2009 - 2021, Co-Leader Buffalo, NY VMUG
0 Kudos
EGRAdmin
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

With your ESX host's/VC server to the best of my knowledge you're stuck with their Tomcat web service.

If you're running a guest OS with Apache and want to swap to IIS just set the service to disabled so it doesn't control the default port of 80.

Or go ahead and uninstall it and install IIS.

I prefer IIS with certain things as well.

If you have apache installed on your VC server and the Tomcat for Web-Access and want to run IIS I see a potential for a port conflict which would mean one of them wouldn't come online on boot. I've seen this happen with IIS and Apache running on the same system setup for port 80. If that's the case check ports and restart the serivce.

Example; on your VC server you'll probably have to specify IIS (or other web server) as a port other then 80 if you want it to come online as the "VI Web Access" server will snag your port 80. Likewise; if you have a "default first site" installed in IIS on the VC server I can see that causing a port conflict with the "Web Access".

0 Kudos