VMware Cloud Community
NZSolly
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Dual 1Gb NIC's

Hi all, I have been informed that 3.5 does not support NIC teaming but in fact now only does load balancing. The physical switch does not need to to be trunked for the 2 ports however I am unsure of the network config setting on the vm server. On the vswitch>nic teaming,what setting is required when you put a tick in load balancing?

Route based on originating virtual portID

Route based on IP hash

Route based on source mac hash

or use explicit failover order?

I'm just confused at those settings, I currently have the properties with tick in network Failover detection - link status only!

Thanks

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
mike_laspina
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Hi,

ESX 3.5 most certainly does support NIC teaming with failover to standby or load balanced.

You will normally select route based on portID (the default) when you are not using a trunk.

For a trunk your best option is to select route based on IP hash.

Only static trunks are supported if you plan to use them.

e.g. do not enable LACP or PAgP protocols on a trunk

http://blog.laspina.ca/ vExpert 2009

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
taits
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I'm not sure where you heard that 3.5 doesn't support NIC teaming. As far as I know it does.

And see this document for information on the types of load balancing available and that might best suit your purpose... http://www.vmware.com/files/pdf/virtual_networking_concepts.pdf . Look under the NIC Teaming section.

taits

kjb007
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

The load balancing options you see are for ESX only, meaning the traffic leaving ESX will be load balanced based on those algorithms. The return traffic from the switch, will not. For return traffic to be returned in a load balanced fashion, then the switch has to be configured for 802.3ad link aggregation, with the same policy set on the switch as you are using on the ESX host. You mentioned "trunked" for aggregation on the switch, so I assume you are using HP switches. The similar config on a Cisco switch is a port/ether channel. Either way, the usual config is IP hash or src-dst-ip. With a channel or trunk on the switch and teaming on the esx host, you will get send and receive load balancing.

-KjB

vExpert/VCP/VCAP vmwise.com / @vmwise -KjB
mike_laspina
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Hi,

ESX 3.5 most certainly does support NIC teaming with failover to standby or load balanced.

You will normally select route based on portID (the default) when you are not using a trunk.

For a trunk your best option is to select route based on IP hash.

Only static trunks are supported if you plan to use them.

e.g. do not enable LACP or PAgP protocols on a trunk

http://blog.laspina.ca/ vExpert 2009
0 Kudos
NZSolly
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi, our supplier was the one who advised apparently incorrectly that teaming was no longer supported.....I was have differculty setting up teaming after trunking on my DGS-1216T, and was just looping once 2nd cable connected, however these were no static addresses as stated required in the below posts.

I am presently reading the above link thank you

0 Kudos