VMware Cloud Community
meistermn
Expert
Expert

Does vmfs version 3.31 in 3.5 in update 3.5 update 2 change?

TROBERTS mentioned following about vmfs 3.31 http://communities.vmware.com/message/830123

Does it although change with esx 3.5 update 2 /esxi update 2 and vc 2.5 update 2?

ESX Server 3.0.2 used VMFS 3.21 and ESX Server 3.5 uses VMFS 3.31. The differences between VMFS 3.21 and VMFS 3.31 are mainly internal architecture, bug fixes, and small block size support (as low as 128K). Upgrading from VMFS 3.21 to VMFS 3.31 is not possible without reformating the volume. However, you do not need to move the VMFS volume to 3.31 to run ESX Server 3.5. The volumes are compatible. In other words, you can not upgrade a VMFS volume from version 3.21 to 3.31, but you can still upgrade the ESX Server to ESX Server 3.5 and continue to run on a VMFS 3.21. This means you can also run VMs from ESX Server 3.0.2 directly on VMFS 3.31.

VMFS 3.31 in 3.5 introduced a distributed locking optimization - optimistic locking.

• Basically, the actual acquisition of on-disk locks (involving SCSI reservations) is postponed as late as possible in the life cycle of VMFS metadata transactions.

• Doing so allows the number and duration of SCSI reservations to be reduced, thereby reducing their impact on VM I/O and VMFS metadata I/O originating from other hosts that share the volume.

• You may see the message - Optimistic Lock Acquired By Another Host - it means that a lock which was held optimistically (not yet acquired on-disk) during a transaction was found to have been acquired on-disk by a different host. In this case, we simply abort and retry the transaction.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
meistermn
Expert
Expert

Today I setup a new host with esx 3.5 update 2. It is managed by vc 2.5 update 1.

I take a new lun and made a new datastore though vc 2.5 update 1.

The vmfs version is 3.31.

So now it is clear.

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

The vmfs version is 3.31.

So now it is clear.

Yes correct, you have to recreate the datastorage in order to get the newer version.

Here's some other threads for reference.

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos