VMware Cloud Community
Funtoosh
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Does storage vmotion writes data across wire?

Say if you are doing svmotion on same filer on the aggr/vol or different aggr/vol. When we kick this ,does it go and write via network ? or does it copy from one aggr/vol to different aggr/vol on the filer ?

Because its movement of data on a single filer

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Chuck8773
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

As I understand SVmotion.

1. ESX creates a snapshot of the VM.

2. ESX starts copying the base vmdk file to the new storage as well as the config files.

3. ESX consolidates the snapshot file on the old storage into the base vmdk on the new storage.

4. When complete, it transfers control to the new storage.

5. Clean up the old storage location.

This way if there is an interuption at any point, all of the files still exist in the old location and it fails back without disruption.

So the only writing that is happening across the storage is the copy process and consolidation process.

Charles Killmer, VCP

If you found this or other information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful".

Charles Killmer, VCP4 If you found this or other information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful".
0 Kudos
Funtoosh
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thans Chuck for explanining me the process. So in other word the VM's which we are migrating from one lun to other lun (Provided that luns are on same filer) does not goes via network switches?

Because in my case it is not true. We had a setup where

1. HBA is connected to the switch

2. Filer is also connected to the switch

Between HBA and Filer there are 2 hop count. We saw huge bottle neck on the port during svmotion process. I was surprise because luns are on same filer

0 Kudos
Chuck8773
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

The copy process goes over whatever connection exists between the host and the storage. Some SAN integrations allow for ESX telling the SAN where the files exist and having the SAN perform the copy without the networks involvement. This makes the copy process very fast. Not many vendors provide that yet though. If you do not have this integration, and it sounds as though you do not, then it will copy across the iSCSI/FC/NFS network and be subject to bottlenecks.

Charles Killmer, VCP

If you found this or other information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful".

Charles Killmer, VCP4 If you found this or other information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful".
0 Kudos