VMware Cloud Community
FMorales
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Does it possible to connect a ESX 3.5 update 2 whith a FC HBA DIRECTLY to a EMC 3cx-10c?

Hello, DELL sales say to me that is NOT possible to connect a ESX 3.5 update 2 with a HBA FC directly to a EMC 3cx-10c

that it is required, and MANDATARY to have two FC switch.....

Does it possible to connect a ESX 3.5 update 2 directly to our EMC 3cx-10c without using two FC switch???

I would like to connect simply ONE ESX 3.5 update 2 with a two ports FC HBA (for HA), one port connected to

the SP-A and the other connected to the SP-B port of the EMC.

I understand that vmware dont recommend this configuracion, and I think that it is unsupported ... but Could it works????

I dont want to buy two FC switches because we just need to connect one ESX server with FC, the others server are using iSCSI dedicated networks.

Thanks a lot

Francisco Morales López de Gamarra Vmware VCP | LPI - CCNA
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Rubeck
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

If Dell says this, could you have them explain page 10 http://www.vmware.com/pdf/vi35_san_guide.pdf , and what Direct Connect Support means?

It says that the EMC 3CX-10c supports "Direct Connect"...

I could ofc be wrong, but I'm puzzled by their answer...

/Rubeck

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Rubeck
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

If Dell says this, could you have them explain page 10 http://www.vmware.com/pdf/vi35_san_guide.pdf , and what Direct Connect Support means?

It says that the EMC 3CX-10c supports "Direct Connect"...

I could ofc be wrong, but I'm puzzled by their answer...

/Rubeck

0 Kudos
FMorales
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hello Rubeck, YES, I knwo that it is possible, that the EMC support direct connection BUT

Dell say to me that it is an unssuported configuration of vmware so .... I f I do it .... vmware

are not going to help me if I have a problem with this???

or maybe there are some .... rare cases that could be dangerous for not to do it on producction???

I thinks that I dont have to care about it ...

0 Kudos
FMorales
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

so Thanks Rubeck, reading the PDF, it is clearly that It is suuported.

Thanks a lot

0 Kudos
Rubeck
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Well, the compatibility guide is written by VMware..... I do not think that they would write such a thing if it wasn't supported, IMO

Years back I ran ESX 2.x with a direct attached IBM FastT SAN, which was NOT supported. I never had an issue with this...

This was ofc in a test enviroment, and I would never dream of putting anything in production which is not supprted by VMware.

Anyway, I fully understand your concern..

/Rubeck

0 Kudos