VMware Cloud Community
dingding
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Does VCB snapshot include memory state

when i use VCB to backup a VM, it will create a snapshot. does this snapshot include the memory state? i know in vmware-cmd snapshot command, there is a option to include or exclude memory state.

-

Idleness is not doing nothing. Idleness is being free to do anything.

---- Idleness is not doing nothing. Idleness is being free to do anything.
0 Kudos
8 Replies
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

I do not believe so since you will not be reverting back to that exact state -

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
macaal
Contributor
Contributor

HI,

Have you an answer for your question ?

I'm on the same case, VCB take a snap memory or not ?

Thanks

0 Kudos
Lightbulb
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

I do not believe so. With VCB full backup you basically get an enhanced crash consistent state. When you restore a windows VM you will offten get a warning that the last shutdown was unexpected, which can be ignored. This tend to indicate that what you get is a crash consistent restore point. I say enhanced because of the filesystem quiescence that is done prior to the snapshot.

0 Kudos
rubensluque
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Though the VCB does not save the memory state some applications like MS SQL Server supports the VSS (Volume Shadow Copy Service) Windows feature and can be safelly backuped. Because VSS will flush the logs before take the snapshot.

ps: VSS is suport by VCB 1.5

rgds,

0 Kudos
macaal
Contributor
Contributor

Hello,

Thanks for your answer !

0 Kudos
macaal
Contributor
Contributor

Hello,

Thanks a lot for you information

0 Kudos
Nick_F
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

We find VCB often crashes our databases (inc. MS SQL 2005) during the snapshot so have reverted to LAN backups for those servers until the NetBackup DB agents are supported (probably v7 of NetBackup). Interesting if it works OK just running VCB scripts though as I didn't think NetBackup did much different.

0 Kudos
Erik_Zandboer
Expert
Expert

It is all about VSS support. Via VSS your SQL server flushes data disk, then holds I/O. VSS returns that the system is ready to be snapshotted. VCB takes a snapshot. VSS tells SQL that it can continue I/O. The snapshot is then no longer crash consistent, and a restored VM should not go over the entire database for consistency.

Another way that works without VSS support (if your envirment allows for it), is to 1) power down the VM 2) create a snapshot 3) powerup the VM. This feature is incorporated in some full-image backup software (like esXpress for example). It is very solid, your VM will always be completely consistent, VSS support(ed) or not. The downside off course is, that your VM takes +-5 minutes of downtime every backup run....

Visit my blog at http://www.vmdamentals.com
0 Kudos