VMware Cloud Community
Vmware_Moron
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Do I need to run sysprep if I deploy a VM from a template through VC

Hello,

I created a vm template in Virtual Center. Do I need to run sysprep when I select "Deploy Virtual Machine from this Template" , or am I good to go?

Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Yattong
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Hey,

When you deploy from template, you will effectively create a clone of the template and turn it into a VM.

Therefore you will have the same GUID/SIDs/etc across the deployed VMs, the same problem if you deploy images of physical machines without syspreping.

If you found this or any other answer useful please consider the use of the Helpful or correct buttons to award points

~y

If you found this or any other answer useful please consider the use of the Helpful or correct buttons to award points ~y

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Yattong
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Hey,

When you deploy from template, you will effectively create a clone of the template and turn it into a VM.

Therefore you will have the same GUID/SIDs/etc across the deployed VMs, the same problem if you deploy images of physical machines without syspreping.

If you found this or any other answer useful please consider the use of the Helpful or correct buttons to award points

~y

If you found this or any other answer useful please consider the use of the Helpful or correct buttons to award points ~y
0 Kudos
malaysiavm
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Sysprep and customize template should able to provide the features you looking at. If you need more customization, you can always do it in sysprep. Or else, the customization specification features in VC should be sufficient for you to deploy from template

Malaysia VMware Communities -

Craig vExpert 2009 & 2010 Netapp NCIE, NCDA 8.0.1 Malaysia VMware Communities - http://www.malaysiavm.com