VMware Cloud Community
Sp0cky
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Do I Need to have 2 servers attached to a SAN to try out VMware virtual center server? or just 2 esx servers up and running?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
williambishop
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

VC you can do with just one esx host to manage. To test HA and DRS, you need two servers, using shared storage (san or some type of nas).

--"Non Temetis Messor."

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
williambishop
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

VC you can do with just one esx host to manage. To test HA and DRS, you need two servers, using shared storage (san or some type of nas).

--"Non Temetis Messor."
0 Kudos
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

You will also need two ESX Servers and SAN/NAS to test vmotion

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
Sp0cky
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks. So am I correct in saying that the only real benefit to virtual center server without the shared san is that you can see more than 1 esx server using only one console? I mean, if you can use HA DRS or V-motion, are there any other features usable? Thanks.

0 Kudos
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

The biggest feature you will lose outside of those mentioned is the ability to do templates which is a VC feature

0 Kudos