VMware Cloud Community
RobBuxton
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Display actual HBA Path in use query

Hi All,

Is there a way to display the actual HBA path in use from the VM Host for all attached LUNs?

From VirtualCentre if I select the Configuration tab for a VM Host and then select the Storage, it lists all of the connected LUNs but always associates it with the first available path. I'd like to balance the vmfs LUNs between the two HBA's, but I need to drill down to each LUN and use the Manage Paths option to see the actual path in use.

The SAN is an HP EVA, which is an Active/Active array and the policy is Fixed.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
wobbly1
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

esxcfg-mpaths -l from the service console will show every path and which is active. You can then use this command to set preferred paths.

With the EVA you can use preferred paths for each lun anyway which will also provide a balancing across the controllers which then gives balancing across the server HBAs in a dual redundant fabric configuration.

In commandview for each lun set the preferred path to 'controller A only' or 'controller B only'. Personally I never use the failback option

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
wobbly1
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

esxcfg-mpaths -l from the service console will show every path and which is active. You can then use this command to set preferred paths.

With the EVA you can use preferred paths for each lun anyway which will also provide a balancing across the controllers which then gives balancing across the server HBAs in a dual redundant fabric configuration.

In commandview for each lun set the preferred path to 'controller A only' or 'controller B only'. Personally I never use the failback option

0 Kudos
christianZ
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

I saw a script here:

http://www.vmware.com/community/thread.jspa?threadID=70305

Maybe helpful - myself not tested it.

RobBuxton
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

A slight amendment - esxcfg-mpath -l replaces esxcfg-mpaths -l

It would be nice to see the overall view from VC rather than from individual nodes.

I'll leave the EVA settings at No Preference. Also, that won't necessarily balance the HBAs as they connect to each controller. So there are the 4 paths available.

0 Kudos