VMware Cloud Community
paulplatypus
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Disk Sizing ca;culations

Hi

I am looking to replicate my ESX environment and I am calculating how much disk I am using on my SAN. If I put the disk sizes in to a spreadsheet and then add them up I come to a different figure than the ESX servers are reporting !!! I have noted All the various vmware files which are created also.

Does anyone know what calculation the EXS server do to come to the available space on the datastore?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Rob_Bohmann1
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Paul if you refresh your storage and or rescan your luns from vCenter does vCenter then display the same as what you see in the service console?

I just looked at vCenter4 and vSphere and mine match up within 1GB (service console rounds to nearest GB).

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Rob_Bohmann1
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Is is a big differenence or a small difference? What %?

You may be leaving out swap files, log files(which should not add up to much) as well as snapshots. Pick a lun or two where there is a discrepancy and use the datastore browser or an ssh session to do a careful inspection to find what files types are causing the discrepancy.

vdf -h shows space for each lun in the service console. Is that different that what your client/ vcenter server shows?

Are you using virtual center? Sometimes those numbers are slower to update than when you are connecting direct to host with client or using ssh.

One of the nice things about vSphere is it actually lists the date/time of when the last update to storage capacity was made.

paulplatypus
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I am using VC and I have calculated for additional files such as swap files.

On one of my LUNs I have only independant disks. When I add up the datastore disk sizes they equate to exactly 650G.

The datastore reports that there is 294.4G free from 935.50G used space = 640.56G. so the discrepancy is quite large !

Just looked at the datastore directly from an ESX server and it is reporting the correct available free size !!

I have not added any dsks to that LUN for a while why is the VC reporting incorrect information

0 Kudos
Rob_Bohmann1
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Paul if you refresh your storage and or rescan your luns from vCenter does vCenter then display the same as what you see in the service console?

I just looked at vCenter4 and vSphere and mine match up within 1GB (service console rounds to nearest GB).

0 Kudos
paulplatypus
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Resanned LUNs and yes the sizes matched!

Thanks

0 Kudos