VMware Cloud Community
vmware_68
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Disk IO

hi -

I'm having huge disk IO performance issues on a Dell PE 2950 8gb ram dual dualcore host. I have a 64bitSql development server running and the disk IO is consistently high, to the point of timing certain apps for sql out.

Is there a way to prioritize disk IO? this is Starter version...

Further, this is running on local RAID5. We have 6 servers total running right now - the other 5 show little to no activity for disk io or processor / memory.

I have set parameters for resource usage so that the sql server gets high priority to cpu and memory, and limited the other servers on the host to 1gb ram and 1ghz processor with no reservations.

I have reserved 2048 ghz and 2048 mb ram for the sql box. Still the cpu and disk IO are extremely high.

Any suggestions on settings for resources?

Thanks,

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
TiBoReR
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

for the cpu, you are limited to 1vCPU with the VI3 Starter Edition. It would have been a good practice to give 2vCPU or 4 if needed for your SQL if the CPU usage is so high.

for the disk IO, you can give it an higher share. On the VM, right click, go to Edit settings, resources tab, go on Disk, select the hard disk you need more IO and put the Shares to High.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
TiBoReR
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

for the cpu, you are limited to 1vCPU with the VI3 Starter Edition. It would have been a good practice to give 2vCPU or 4 if needed for your SQL if the CPU usage is so high.

for the disk IO, you can give it an higher share. On the VM, right click, go to Edit settings, resources tab, go on Disk, select the hard disk you need more IO and put the Shares to High.

0 Kudos