VMware Cloud Community
korman
Contributor
Contributor

Discovering ESX Servers In Dell IT Assistant 8 failing

I am getting some oddness when trying to discover my ESX servers with Dell IT assistant 8. It seems that about 50% of the time when the servers are discovered IT Assistant identifies them as unknown? When I test the SNMP connection via IT Assistant 2 out of three of the tests pass. The part that fails is an SNMP write request to the ESX server. I have included my snmpd.conf file below... By chance has anyone else had similar issues with SNMP and IT Assistant?

Dell PE2850

ESX 3.0.1

Dell OpenManage 5.1

/etc/snmp/smpd.conf

\----

\# Sample snmpd.conf containing VMware MIB module entries.

\# This is a simple snmpd.conf that may help you test SNMP.

\# It is not recommended for production use. Consult the

\# snmpd.conf(5) man pages to set up a secure installation.

syscontact root@localhost (edit snmpd.conf)

syslocation room1 (edit snmpd.conf)

#

#Changed Community Strings - Korman

#

rocommunity SomethingPublic

trapcommunity SomethingPrivate

#Changed Trapsink Server - Korman

#trapsink localhost

trapsink SomethingPrivate

\# VMware MIB modules. To enable/disable VMware MIB items

\# add/remove the following entries.

dlmod SNMPESX /usr/lib/vmware/snmp/libSNMPESX.so

\# Allow Systems Management Data Engine SNMP to connect to snmpd using SMUX

smuxpeer .1.3.6.1.4.1.674.10892.1

\----

I know probably a better question for Dell...

Message was edited by:

korman

0 Kudos
5 Replies
balacs
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

I would recommend do a snmpwalk from another server (linux) to see what you are getting. Something like "snmpwalk -v1 -c .1.3.6.1.4.1.674". That will help you isolate the issue.

Also, look at http://www.dell.com/downloads/global/solutions/Installing_Dell_OpenManage_50_on_ESX_3.pdf

There is a troubleshoot section with an issue similar to yours. See if that applies.

Bala,

Dell Inc.

Bala Dell Inc
0 Kudos
korman
Contributor
Contributor

test

0 Kudos
krishnaprasad
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Hi,

please see if you have same community name in ESX server and client box. if community names are different, you will not be able to communicate

you can mention community in /etc/snmp/snmpd.conf file for ESX server and in client box u have to mention it in SNMP Service properties.

Also have a look into the firewall in both ESX and client box. make sure that snmp port is kept open

Regards

Krishnaprasad

Message was edited by:

krishnaprasad

Message was edited by:

krishnaprasad

0 Kudos
kumarkv
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi

This is how the SNMP configuration needs to be done.

8. Using IT Assistant in an ESX Server Environment

Dell IT Assistant can be used for basic discovery, monitoring, and management of VMware ESX Servers. ITA uses SNMP to manage Dell servers running Linux based operating systems. To manage ESX servers using ITA, follow the steps below:

1. Specify SNMP community name: If you are using a SNMP community name other than public, change the trap community name. Edit “trapcommunity public” in /etc/snmp/snmpd.conf file to “trapcommuntiy

4. After making changes to /etc/snmpd.conf, save the file and restart snmpd service:

$ service snmpd restart

5. To access the ESX server from IT Assistant and to allow SNMP traps from the server to reach IT Assistant, open the ports used by the SNMP daemon using the following command:

$ esxcfg-firewall -e snmpd

Chk all these. Ensure the community strings are correctly matched. I am have this done. If will let you know if I encounter any issues.

If you find this helpful please award some points.

Regards

Kumar

Cheers Kumar KV If you find this helpful don't forget to award points
0 Kudos
PLaing
Contributor
Contributor

Your post was extremely helpful to me.

The crucial part was step 5 - opening the ESX firewall to allow snmpd.

Many thanks

Paul

0 Kudos