VMware Cloud Community
svendickman
Contributor
Contributor

Direct attach EMC CX3-10

Has anyone managed to direct connect (no FC switch) 2x ESX hosts to an EMC CX3-10? The CX3-10 has 2x Storage Processors and each has SP 2x Fiber Channel connections.

My guess is that it will work, but I don't know if it is a supported configuration.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
acr
Champion
Champion

Page 3

http://www.vmware.com/resources/techresources/457

Direct Connect — In this configuration, the ESX Server 3.0 host is directly connected to the array (that is, no switch

between HBA and the array). HBA and Storage Processor Failover is supported provided that there is no sharing

of LUNs between multiple hosts. Clustering is not supported in this configuration.

0 Kudos
svendickman
Contributor
Contributor

I can understand if there were only one FC connection / SP. But could the double FC connection in each SP not be considered as a small switch per SP?

0 Kudos
acr
Champion
Champion

Im fairly sure that those FC connectors are electrically connected from the SP.. So unfortunately they wouldnt be anything like a small switch..

0 Kudos
FMorales
Contributor
Contributor

Hello, please, next week I have to install a Qlogic HBA on one ESX 4 for connect it to a CX3-10c, please, would you be so kind as to

give to me some simple information about what I have to do and how to do it? because I am reading a lot of documment but I dont exactly haw I have to do it...

Thanks a million

--

Francisco Morales López de Gamarra

Vmware VCP | LPI - CCNA

Francisco Morales López de Gamarra Vmware VCP | LPI - CCNA
0 Kudos