Contributor
Contributor

Direct Attached Fibre Channel SANs

Jump to solution

Okay, this is probably a dumb question and I am asking it anyway:

I am looking at various SANs for possible ESX (3.0.1) installations. I see on the vi3_san_guide.pdf that all but a couple of SANs (namely DELL/EMC AX100 and AX150; I know the Dell/EMC switches are one-and-the-same) require the use of a fibre channel switch.

What exactly is it about the AX100/AX150 that does not require the use of a fibre channel switch? Is it the fact that they are SATA drive arrays? Is there something else unique about them?

Like I said, I am sure this is a dumb question and I have not been able to find the answer via Google Engineering. Thanks.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Expert
Expert

The AIX and the HP MSA series have the fiber switch built into the low cost array.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Expert
Expert

The AIX and the HP MSA series have the fiber switch built into the low cost array.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
Contributor
Contributor

I thought it was something more complicated than that.

(25 views for someone to post this?!?! I don't feel so bad about posting this question here now...)

Thanks for the answer and enjoy the points.

0 Kudos
Commander
Commander

the HP MSA series have the fiber switch built into the low cost array.

Only the MSA1000 base unit has room[/b] for two embedded Fibre Channel switches, but by default it is delivered with a Fibre Channel I/O module which goes to an external switch.

The MSA1500cs comes with Fibre Channel I/O modules and that's it - no internal switch.

0 Kudos
Contributor
Contributor

Has anyone managed to direct connect 2x ESX hosts to an EMC CX3-10. The CX3-10 has 2x Storage Processors and each has SP 2x Fiber Channel connections.

My guess is that it will work, but I don't know if it is a supported configuration.

0 Kudos
Immortal
Immortal

There are hundreds of posts a day, maybe those of us with the answer didn't see it...

0 Kudos