VMware Cloud Community
ringadingding
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Direct Attached Fibre Channel SANs

Okay, this is probably a dumb question and I am asking it anyway:

I am looking at various SANs for possible ESX (3.0.1) installations. I see on the vi3_san_guide.pdf that all but a couple of SANs (namely DELL/EMC AX100 and AX150; I know the Dell/EMC switches are one-and-the-same) require the use of a fibre channel switch.

What exactly is it about the AX100/AX150 that does not require the use of a fibre channel switch? Is it the fact that they are SATA drive arrays? Is there something else unique about them?

Like I said, I am sure this is a dumb question and I have not been able to find the answer via Google Engineering. Thanks.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
bggb29
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

The AIX and the HP MSA series have the fiber switch built into the low cost array.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
bggb29
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

The AIX and the HP MSA series have the fiber switch built into the low cost array.

0 Kudos
ringadingding
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I thought it was something more complicated than that.

(25 views for someone to post this?!?! I don't feel so bad about posting this question here now...)

Thanks for the answer and enjoy the points.

0 Kudos
BUGCHK
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

the HP MSA series have the fiber switch built into the low cost array.

Only the MSA1000 base unit has room[/b] for two embedded Fibre Channel switches, but by default it is delivered with a Fibre Channel I/O module which goes to an external switch.

The MSA1500cs comes with Fibre Channel I/O modules and that's it - no internal switch.

0 Kudos
svendickman
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Has anyone managed to direct connect 2x ESX hosts to an EMC CX3-10. The CX3-10 has 2x Storage Processors and each has SP 2x Fiber Channel connections.

My guess is that it will work, but I don't know if it is a supported configuration.

0 Kudos
RParker
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

There are hundreds of posts a day, maybe those of us with the answer didn't see it...

0 Kudos