VMware Cloud Community
tlyczko
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Determine correct network adapter PCI bus for Service Console??

Are PCI bus numbers in hex or decimal??

I ask because I put Service Console on the wrong NIC (0b.00.00) and I want to figure out which is the lowest NIC to move it to.

I have the following:

Internal Broadcom card: 03.00.00 and 05.00.00 -- I want these to become vmic0 and vmnic1

External Intel card: 0b.00.00 and 0b.00.0 -- I want these to become vmic3 and vmnic4

Am I correct that 03.00.00 is the lowest-numbered NIC PCI bus??

Once I know this I will add this 03.00.00 vmnic to the current SC vSwitch then reassign SC to it, then remove the other vmNIC to it.

Also, how is it possible to re-assign vmnic numbers to different NICs??

Say vmnic0 is on the 0b.00.00 NIC and I really want vmnic0 to be on 03.00.00, how do I do this?? -- command and syntax??

Thank you, Tom

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Yes 03:00:00 is the lowest PCI address - 05:00:00 is next, 0b:00:## is next - its numbered in Hex - you can either reinstall ESX and select the correct Nic or you might check out here how to renumber - http://vmware-land.com/Vmware_Tips.html#Net4

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Yes 03:00:00 is the lowest PCI address - 05:00:00 is next, 0b:00:## is next - its numbered in Hex - you can either reinstall ESX and select the correct Nic or you might check out here how to renumber - http://vmware-land.com/Vmware_Tips.html#Net4

0 Kudos
tlyczko
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hello, thanks for replying.

I will try changing esx.conf, then if necessary re-install.

Thank you, Tom

0 Kudos