VMware Cloud Community
walkerjg
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Determine Active Adapter

Hello,

I have a vSwitch setup with two active adapters. Both of these active adapters go to two different switches. I have the load balancing setup as Route based on the originating virtual port ID and Network Failover Detection as Link Status Only. There is no vlan tagging on the vswitch. I have 5 x Redhat 5 servers on this vswitch. Of these 5 servers, 2 are web servers and we are having an issue with one of these web servers and not the other. This only happens on one of our hosts so I think it could be a bad port on the switch. How do I determine which active adapter a vm is using in this setup?

I do not want to put one of the adapters in standby to find this out. I would like to see if there is a command that will tell me what virtual port ID and VM is using which active adapter on a Vswitch. I believe a sniffer trace from the server should help because of the two switch setup, but I was hoping there would be a command. Does this command exist?

James

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
atbnet
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

When the performance statistics detail level is cranked up I think it shows this. I will check this though when im in work

Andy, VMware Certified Professional (VCP),

If you found this information useful please award points using the buttons at the top of the page accordingly.

Andy Barnes
VCP / VCA-DT / MCITP:EA / CCIA
Help, Guides and How Tos... www.VMadmin.co.uk

If you found this information useful please award points using the buttons at the top of the page accordingly.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
dmn0211
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

This post seems to explain the issue.

http://communities.vmware.com/thread/167130

atbnet
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

When the performance statistics detail level is cranked up I think it shows this. I will check this though when im in work

Andy, VMware Certified Professional (VCP),

Andy Barnes
VCP / VCA-DT / MCITP:EA / CCIA
Help, Guides and How Tos... www.VMadmin.co.uk

0 Kudos
walkerjg
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

This was able to give me the ability to see that one of the two nics was not transmitting many packets. We will try to put that one in standby and see if it fixes the problem. Is some option in the performance logs that will tell you which vm is using with vmnic?

0 Kudos