VMware Cloud Community
jtonic
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Details: you do not have permissions to login to the server

Hi Everyone,

I am new to VMWare Infrastructure and ESX Server. I just got my licenses and downloaded ESX 3.5 today. The install went fine on a new HP DL380 (G5). I logged in to the server using Infrastructure Client 2.5 and the root account. I updated the server with my license and created a new user account. My problem is when I go to log in to the server with any new created account I get the error:

vmware infrastructure client could not establish a connection with server

Details: you do not have permissions to login to the server

I can use the new user accounts and log in to the terminal just fine but can not use the infrastructure client. I have checked the documentation and the KB as well as done a Google search but nothing addressing this problem turns up. Any assistance will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Jon

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
petedr
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

From the VIC is the user in a group that has Read-Only permission. You can check which groups have the permission on the Permissions tab and also add permissions to groups from that tab. Without the Read-Only permission in VIC I believe you get the 'No permissions to login error'.

www.thevirtualheadline.com www.liquidwarelabs.com

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
10 Replies
khughes
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

I'm not sure about everyone else, but when I log into the Virtual Center server, I use my domain account (admin) which gives me access to login. From there you can address other users logins to the VIC. Have you tried logging into the Virtual infrastructure client (VIC) with either a local or domain admin account?

logging in using the client for root is usually just used to access the hosts/ESX servers (at least what I was taught)

-- Kyle "RParker wrote: I guess I was wrong, everything CAN be virtualized "
jtonic
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I don't have Virtual Center. I am just trying to use the client to log directly in to the ESX sever using the Infrastructure Client.

0 Kudos
Texiwill
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Hello,

If you created the user using 'useradd' instead of the VIC to create the user then you also need to modify the /etc/vmware/hostd/authorization.xml, or login as root via the VIC and edit the user to allow them VIC access.

Best regards,

Edward L. Haletky

VMware Communities User Moderator

====

Author of the book 'VMWare ESX Server in the Enterprise: Planning and Securing Virtualization Servers', Copyright 2008 Pearson Education. As well as the Virtualization Wiki at http://www.astroarch.com/wiki/index.php/Virtualization

--
Edward L. Haletky
vExpert XIV: 2009-2023,
VMTN Community Moderator
vSphere Upgrade Saga: https://www.astroarch.com/blogs
GitHub Repo: https://github.com/Texiwill
0 Kudos
jtonic
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I created the user account using the VIC and the root account. I don't see an option when i edit the user to grant VIC access. Only "Grant shell access to this user".

0 Kudos
petedr
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

From the VIC is the user in a group that has Read-Only permission. You can check which groups have the permission on the Permissions tab and also add permissions to groups from that tab. Without the Read-Only permission in VIC I believe you get the 'No permissions to login error'.

0 Kudos
khughes
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Putting your user in the correct group would probably do it for the login error because it is definatly sounds like a permisions problem. I've been trying to find time today to locate the commands, but I know you can log into the host via putty or another program and add the user in that way, or change the permissions for the user from the command line.

-- Kyle "RParker wrote: I guess I was wrong, everything CAN be virtualized "
petedr
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Thanks for the correct, I assume setting the group permissions corrected the problem, good to hear it was resolved.

0 Kudos
KudrAlexey
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi, everybody

In my case, the reason of deny message, mentioned above, was simple: as soon i assigned to simple users some rights to at least one virtual machine, so he was able to log in on stand-alone ESXi 3.5 host using VIC.

0 Kudos
Monndz
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi :

I had the same problem the solution is easy . just disable  the Option Configure Lockdown Mode on VMware Consol.

Regards

Sofinae BOUSSAYOUD

ICT Operation Engineer

0 Kudos
REIS201110141
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I fix my VC with:

- close vSphere client

- stop vmware vcenter webmanagement service

- stop vmware vcenter server service

- disabled of firewall
- disabled of ipv6

- reconfigure \etc\hosts of my VC for: ( 10.10.10.10    myvc   myvc.mydomain)

- recreate password for rui.pfx ( OpenSSL> pkcs12 -export -in rui.crt -inkey rui.key -name rui -passout pass:testpassword -out rui.pfx )

- copy /lib and /bin of Tomcat Folder the newest installation

- change maximum memory for Tomcat (start programs vmware configure tomcat) for 2048MB

- start all services for vcenter server

- open vsphere client on your client desktop

- wait full load, click on Pertomance tab, wait load the charts, execute search of VM, and test Hardware status...

tks

Rodrigo REIS

0 Kudos