VMware Cloud Community
SWerntz
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Deploying a template - Does it transfer over service console network

I remember being told that when you deploy a template it transfers the data accross the console network. I am looking for the documentation that proves this or refutes it. I also wanted to know if th template is stored on the SAN how it transfers to a different LUN. Is it still through the service console?

Thanks

Scott

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Jwoods
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

See page 128 of the San Deployment Guide under "Using Templates to Deploy New Virtual

Machines."

Excerpt:

...If your templates are stored on FC storage, the VMware Virtual Infrastructure Server tells the storage

processor in the SAN to do a block copy in order to transport and deploy the

template. This step eliminates LAN network traffic and ultimately provides the fastest

way to deploy a template.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
rubensluque
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I've never seen any documentation that state it, but I tested it in my LAB and I noticed that If a template is stored on the SAN and the LUN target for deployment is on SAN, all the traffic will occur through SAN network. Nothing through the Service Console.

0 Kudos
BryanMcC
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

You may be referring to 2.x when templates were stored on the VC Server. Although this is not the case in 3.0.x

Help me help you by scoring points... Smiley Happy

Help me help you by scoring points.
0 Kudos
Jwoods
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

See page 128 of the San Deployment Guide under "Using Templates to Deploy New Virtual

Machines."

Excerpt:

...If your templates are stored on FC storage, the VMware Virtual Infrastructure Server tells the storage

processor in the SAN to do a block copy in order to transport and deploy the

template. This step eliminates LAN network traffic and ultimately provides the fastest

way to deploy a template.

0 Kudos
SWerntz
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

That is what I was looking for. Thanks for the help!

-Scott-

0 Kudos
RaBalder
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

OK, SAN copy within a SAN.

How about if the template is stored on one SAN/ESX and is going to be deployed to another SAN/ESX?

Guess SC-NIC is used then....???

0 Kudos
Jwoods
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Hmmm. Good question.

If template from LUN1-SAN1 is deployed to LUN2-SAN2 of the same esx host, I think that the deployment will still occur over fibre. The host is basically the gateway (for lack of a better term) and the traffic is traveling through the fibre HBAs of that host.

Now if that LUN2 of SAN2 was not connected to that esx host, but connected to another host, then it should travel over SC nic.

Joseph

0 Kudos