VMware Cloud Community
NYSDHCR
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Dell and OpenManage on ESX hosts

We are a 100% Dell shop running 6 Dell 6850s and 4 2950s. Has anyone had any issues running Dell OpenManage on their ESX hosts? Our hosts are at 3.0.1 and 3.0.2 level. A while back we had an issue (not OpenManage related) with one of our ESX hosts and the first thing VMware told is they do not recommend running any 3rd party products on the host...

0 Kudos
4 Replies
RParker
Immortal
Immortal

FYI, Dell is not the 3rd party, they are the Vendor. It's their product. 3rd party would be like buying a Dell box, installing VM Ware, and then installing a backup agent. That backup agent since its not installed by the vendor/OEM or VM Ware would be 3rd party.

Dell certifys their machines with their software and VM Ware.

rossb2b
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

I have been running Open Manage on all my ESX dell servers since version 2.5.0 and I'm currently on 3.0.2 and can happily say we have had no problems. We had VMware Professional Services come and assist with a roll out that included Open Manage. It is true that they recommend limiting any software being installed in the service console but it is a supported configuration.

NYSDHCR
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks for your input, guys!

0 Kudos
NYSDHCR
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

What I meant was at the time, VMware did not like anything running on their boxes except VMWare.

0 Kudos