VMware Cloud Community
Addagats
Contributor
Contributor

Dell 6850 with PCI-E slots for ESX 3.0.1

Hi,

We are about to implement ESX 3.0.1 on Dell 6850 with \*PCI-E Qlogic HBAs*. I haven't read anything about PCI-E usage on ESX server and started this topic just to know if anyone used above confirm for ESX 3.0.1 and have seen any issues and has any suggestions for those who are about to implement.

Thanks

Srinivas

0 Kudos
11 Replies
bertdb
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Haven't used any yet, but if your configuration is on the compatibility lists, there isn't going to be a problem. If your chipset is supported, a PCI bus is a PCI bus, whether it is E, X or vanilla (or AGP for that matter)

0 Kudos
hullt
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I have 3 6850s running ESX 3.0.1 with PCI-E Qlogic HBAs and have no issues.

0 Kudos
Addagats
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the clarification. Do you use Dell OpenManage on ESX? do you see any issues with it ??

0 Kudos
RParker
Immortal
Immortal

It's a pain to setup. But once its on, it works the same as a standard windows box. It is a nice feature.

0 Kudos
balacs
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

You might find this document useful

http://www.dell.com/downloads/global/solutions/Installing_Dell_OpenManage_50_on_ESX_3.pdf

or www.dell.com/vmware > support documents

Bala,

Dell Inc.

Bala Dell Inc
0 Kudos
Addagats
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the document. I have another Query w.r.t the SCSI/RAID controller we use for ESX. I don't see Dell Perc Controller being listed in ESX HCL list, all i could see if Adaptec & LSI Logic..does anyone use Perc Controller work ESX and if yes then what is the best RAID configuration level for ESX ?

I think LSI supports only mirrors.

Thanks

0 Kudos
Addagats
Contributor
Contributor

hullt,

Could you help me to know what is the Qlogic HBA you are using, VMWARE HCL pdf just give only QLA4022 as supporte model of ISCSI HBA for 3.0.1..just wondering if this is outdated doc (updated on Jan 10 ' 2007).

Thanks

Srinivas

0 Kudos
balacs
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Thanks for the document. I have another Query w.r.t

the SCSI/RAID controller we use for ESX. I don't see

Dell Perc Controller being listed in ESX HCL list,

all i could see if Adaptec & LSI Logic..does anyone

use Perc Controller work ESX

PERC is actually listed in the HCL. (http://www.vmware.com/pdf/vi3_io_guide.pdf page 5).

and if yes then what is

the best RAID configuration level for ESX ?

It depends on the server model and your requirements. If you have, say 5 drivers, you have 2 in a mirror and have ESX installed and 3 drives in RAID 5 with VMFS partition.

I think LSI supports only mirrors.

PERC (also LSI) supports not just mirrors but various RAID configurations.

Bala,

Dell Inc.

Message was edited by:

balacs

Bala Dell Inc
0 Kudos
Addagats
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the clarificaiton, Balacs . I haven't checked that and just saw page2 and thought its not listed.

Thanks once again.

0 Kudos
hullt
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I have 2 ea QLE2460 in each system, but not using iSCSI just 4GB FC.

Also this week, I installed Dell OpenManage on all my ESX host and it works great. They all show up in IT assistant and have them sending SNMP traps if any hardware issues appear,

Message was edited by:

hullt

Message was edited by:

hullt

0 Kudos
pit69
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Hullt,

I've got some troubble with the same configuration: all the vm are running slowly linked to poor IO transfer with an HDS SAN (AMS500).

Did you encoutered the same issues?

rgds

pit69

0 Kudos