VMware Cloud Community
aefx
Contributor
Contributor

Deleted Guest and lost all files but vmdk files

Through a series of unfortunate events I've lost all the config files for a guest. The only files I have left are two vmdk files, a flat file and a delta. I've created a new virtual machine with the intention of attaching the disks left behind but I'm unsure of what to do about the delta file. The only way I know how to commit via the service console is using the vmx. Any recommendations on what I can do?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
VMmatty
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

You could try creating a new VM and attaching the disks just like you originally planned. Then take a new snapshot, and delete it right away. That can sometimes force it to delete all existing snapshots, even if they are not present in Snapshot Manager.

Matt | http://www.thelowercasew.com | @mattliebowitz
aefx
Contributor
Contributor

I thought about that but it's not so easy with all the files deleted but the flat and delta. So far here's what I've done:

Created new virtual machine with new disk with the same size.

Took snapshot.

Deleted newly made flat and delta file and copied the old ones over.

Using the VIclient I tried to delete the snapshot but it failed at 95%.

Now I've gone in the service console and ran the vmware-cmd removesnapshots command. It's still running and I'm not too sure how long it will take and if it will work. Crossing my fingers though.

0 Kudos
VMmatty
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

I would have left the newly created delta files and let the snapshot removal process delete everything.

Check out this KB for info on how to monitor a snapshot deletion process.

One last thing - if you can still bring up the VM and power it on, you can try using VMware Converter to convert it to a brand new virtual machine. That will also get rid of your snapshot.

Matt | http://www.thelowercasew.com | @mattliebowitz
aefx
Contributor
Contributor

Well the vmware-cmd failed saying invalid configuration. So I ended up just powering on the machiine to let the users get back to working on it for the moment. I was going to look into that snapshot removal process a little bit more when I could get some more downtime but your converter recommendation is probably the best way forward.

Regarding leaving the newly created files and let the snapshot removal remove everything, I've done that before when the VIclient reports no snapshots when in fact there are but in this scenario it was not a viable option because of the available file structure or lack there of... I did try it anyways though without result Smiley Happy

At anyrate, cheers for taking the time post in this thread.

0 Kudos