VMware Cloud Community
geno5150
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Delete folders from a datastore through VI Client?

When I browse a datastore through VI Client, I can delete individual files, but not folders (delete button grayed out). Is this by design? I can delete them if I FTP to the ESX host and do it command line.

It's not really a problem, but more of a curiosity.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Lightbulb
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

No you cannot delete folders via the VIC datastore browser.

You could delete the folder via Winscp http://winscp.net/eng/download.php (If you do not want to do it from the command line)

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Lightbulb
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

No you cannot delete folders via the VIC datastore browser.

You could delete the folder via Winscp http://winscp.net/eng/download.php (If you do not want to do it from the command line)

0 Kudos
geno5150
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Sounds good. Thanks for the response.

0 Kudos
puzzledtux
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Hmmm...are you sure "Delete" is greyed out for folders in the VI client datastore browser? I think you can delete VM folder after selecting it in the right-hand side pane in the datastore browser window. As good as "rm -rf " (no questions asked!)

0 Kudos
Lightbulb
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Yep you are right. I tend to use datstore browser for uploading ISOs. I think I will stick with rm but good to know,

0 Kudos
hitdrum
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

You can indeed delete folders on a datastore via the VIC datastore browser, here is how.

1. Open the data store browser

2. In the left pane select the root of the datastore tree (so all the folder are shown in the right pane)

3. In the right pane select the folder that you want to delete

4. Right click and select "delete from disk" or alternatively click the red X on the icon bar

0 Kudos